• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Why do the 2006 3.0 Rangers have less towing capabilities then other years?

bluebombersfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My towing max weight is about 2300 lbs but I see other 3.0 ranger for other years able to tow much more. Also for this year ranger the manual has pretty much the same towing max as the automatics which is strange because auto's usually tow more.

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
may depend on the axle ratio

bluebombersfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
may depend on the axle ratio
Thats what's even more strange because in the 2006 all axle ratios tow the same. I have seen 3.0 v6 in other years to up to or more then 3500 lbs.
Mine has 4.10 gears so I was hoping to tow more then the 2300 lbs listed but I don't want be driving over my limit since this can void my insurance if I am in an accident.

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
If it were me I'd tow whatever I wanted... But there is nothing you can do about the rated tow capacity.... Nothing will change that, not even a dually conversion and overload springs.

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
would it be the difference between the bumper rating and a separate class III hitch???

(although if it were that simple, I assue you would have already thought of that)

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I don't think you could tow 2300lbs from the bumper, or at least I wouldn't even want to try it on newer vehicles.

Another possibility as well is that it may depend on which suspension package was ordered with the truck. If you get the base model truck it has a very light duty suspension so I'm guessing that would be the reason for the smaller rating. I know with the 93 ranger my grandfather had, the rear of the truck actually sat higher because it had the heavy spring package on it and had a higher towing capacity than the same ranger with the standard springs.

Another thing too, your info states the "sport" model, that's your problem, it has the sport suspension on it, its tuned for a sporty ride rather than for cargo/towing capacity. They have different springs/shocks for the sport models so they will not carry as much weight as say the standard base model, or the upgraded models.

Last edited:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thats what's even more strange because in the 2006 all axle ratios tow the same. I have seen 3.0 v6 in other years to up to or more then 3500 lbs.
Mine has 4.10 gears so I was hoping to tow more then the 2300 lbs listed but I don't want be driving over my limit since this can void my insurance if I am in an accident.
The '98' does list a different tow rating based on ratio but the 2000 manual makes no distinction. Would think it would.

I don't think you could tow 2300lbs from the bumper, or at least I wouldn't even want to try it on newer vehicles.

Another possibility as well is that it may depend on which suspension package was ordered with the truck. If you get the base model truck it has a very light duty suspension so I'm guessing that would be the reason for the smaller rating. I know with the 93 ranger my grandfather had, the rear of the truck actually sat higher because it had the heavy spring package on it and had a higher towing capacity than the same ranger with the standard springs.

Another thing too, your info states the "sport" model, that's your problem, it has the sport suspension on it, its tuned for a sporty ride rather than for cargo/towing capacity. They have different springs/shocks for the sport models so they will not carry as much weight as say the standard base model, or the upgraded models.
It tells you right on the bumper what the tongue and trailer weght ratings are, no matter how you tow it.
As far as the suspention package making a diference, mainly concened with the tongue weight. Most every truck for many, many years has come with the rear higher to allow for any load. Just about any truck could be ordered with several levels of load capabilities.
As far as the "Sport" being a light weight, generally the other way around. Not the sport you would think of as being a road truck but it replaced the "Offroad" and FX4 versons. Build heavy duty.
Sure, a lot of people over load their trucks so that's up to you.
Dave

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
The '98' does list a different tow rating based on ratio but the 2000 manual makes no distinction. Would think it would.

It tells you right on the bumper what the tongue and trailer weght ratings are, no matter how you tow it.
As far as the suspention package making a diference, mainly concened with the tongue weight. Most every truck for many, many years has come with the rear higher to allow for any load. Just about any truck could be ordered with several levels of load capabilities.
As far as the "Sport" being a light weight, generally the other way around. Not the sport you would think of as being a road truck but it replaced the "Offroad" and FX4 versons. Build heavy duty.
Sure, a lot of people over load their trucks so that's up to you.
Dave
Should have said I wouldn't trust towing from a factory bumper, they don't make them very sturdy anymore. The smallest Uhaul enclosed trailer bent the bumper on a 2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac so I surely wouldn't try towing 2,000+ from a bumper regardless of what the sticker says. Buy the right equipment and avoid the very expensive tickets from a wreck you cause by improperly towing, doesn't matter what the sticker says, if you cause a wreck by not properly securing your load whether it be hauling or towing, you are at fault.

bluebombersfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know I can upgrade my hitch to a class 2 or even a class 3 but techinically that still won't change the manufacter's specified tow limit of 2300 lbs. Even though I could probably tow more then that with the proper hitch my biggest concern is a void insurance if I should get into an accident because even though I have the proper hitch I am still technically overloaded.

I would never tow more then the specified limit of 2000 lbs of my class 1 bumper hitch. But like mentioned it doesn't matter what hitch I change it to because my specified capacity still won't change a whole lot

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals