• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Thoughts on V8 swaps

98greenmachine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Just got a 99 ranger, 3.0 that I'm taking the motor and tranny out of for my daily driver, 98 Mazda B3000, and with the rest of the 99 I want to play with I'm thinking v8 swap with probably a SAS and a lift at some point, but I'm trying to figure out what motor would work in it, I'm looking for power, ease of swap, and overall price. I'm debating between 302 - 351 ford or a 305-350 chevy, also curious about ease of swap between older carbed motors, or newer EFI. Any info and insight is appreciated

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

bf750

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2. Crap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33 1250 15
My credo
It is what it is

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
>>>>

The 99 Ranger I want to play with I'm thinking v8 swap with probably a SAS and a lift at some point, but I'm trying to figure out what motor would work in it, I'm looking for power, ease of swap, and overall price. I'm debating between 302 - 351 ford or a 305-350 chevy, also curious about ease of swap between older carbed motors, or newer EFI. Any info and insight is appreciated.
===================
Is the 99 a 4X4? If so, a 5.0L Explorer drivetrain is a direct swap over.:yahoo:

If its a 2X4 that your gonna convert to 4X4, then that's gonna take some work no matter what. Money wise on the conversion, the Chevy would be cheaper & easier to find as alotta stuff interchange, and I wouldn't waste my time with a 305, go 350 or bigger.

When ya start it, create a thread to keep us up to date on progress & such!

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
302 all the way! Find a crashed or ratty but still running AWD V8 Explorer and everything all but bolts in.

A handful of wiring mods, mostly dealing with PATS and the A/C system, swing the starter power/solenoid energizer over to the other side of the engine bay (using the Expo bits) and you're good to go.

With a '96 - 01 V8 Expo, it all fits like it belongs. Ranger shifter cable works the Expo trans, Expo throttle and cruise control cables replace the Ranger units.

Even the Expo cats fit. Exhaust won't have to go custom till after the rear cats.

The '96/97 Expo's don't have PATS, but have a low pressure EFI. The '98 gets PATS and the '99-01 get PATS and the high pressure EFI.

The PATS on the Rangers and Expos is different so there's always a bit of pain involved, either with PATS or the fuel system.

Only thing to watch is the speed signal. It's very possible to end up without a speed signal. Largely, the Ranger went from a transmission mounted VSS to a PCM generated signal using the transmission OSS. The Expo's went from the transmission mounted VSS to an ABS cal'd system.

The Expo ABS bits can be grafed into the Ranger, a mechanical VSS can be added to the transmission, or, the GEM from a later 4 cyl Ranger can be fitted since the 4 cyl Rangers did not use the PCM/Trans for the speed signal. On the 4 cyl Rangers, the GEM "borrows" the ABS signal and calc's speed signal.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
ls.

no way i would swap a 302 over an ls 5.3-6.0-6.2 with sas on the menu.

the 302 in your case can be a bolt in with the right selection...therefore easiest.

the ls will likely be the most cost effective for power.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals