• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4r70w tailshaft

plknny

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Im planning on getting a whole 5.0 99-01 explorer 5.0 and swap it into my 2wd 98 ranger. I want to ditch the explorer transfer case and keep it 2wd as well as not have the drag of an unused tranfer case. My plan is to swap the tailshaft from a 2wd 4r70w. It seems easy enough now because i cant find any info on whats involved. Would i be better off swapping the whole transmission? Can i get a trans with a vss and just not use it since my rangers vss is part of the pcm?

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can do it, you just may not want to do it.

Good read here on what is required as far as disassembly of Trans: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157283

I would sell the AWD(trans/transfer case) and buy a 2WD with that money, make sure the 2WD has the speed sensor
You also need a 2WD drive shaft

plknny

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yup new trans it is. Now about the vss, ive read that the 99-01 explorers use the abs and pcm instead of a vss like my 98 ranger. Your saying i need a trans with the speed sensor? What year/ models would have this trans and driveshaft? Would my 2wd auto extended cab ranger driveshaft not work?

Last edited:

willy

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
Id go with a 2wd tranny easyest way to go

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yup new trans it is. Now about the vss, ive read that the 99-01 explorers use the abs and pcm instead of a vss like my 98 ranger. Your saying i need a trans with the speed sensor? What year/ models would have this trans and driveshaft? Would my 2wd auto extended cab ranger driveshaft not work?
That's right, '98 Ranger would have the speed sensor on differential feeding ABS module, ABS module corrects pulses for tire size and axle ratio then sends signal to speedo, cruise and PCM, so same setup in both, opps :).

Driveshaft won't be the right length, I would wait until you have engine and trans in place before measuring.
Read here: http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/v8-tech/287562-extended-cab-gen-4-ranger-5-0-4r70w-trans-driveshaft-length.html

Last edited:

plknny

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
What years/ models would have the 4r70w with a speed sensor that i need? 2wd 5.0 E/F150s, 94 95 mustangs? I dont know what the vss setup is in any of them

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

plknny

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So then any 2wd 4r70w will work? I get it that the abs/ pcm handles the speedometer, im just concerned with having problems with the 5.0 computer having an issue with a different transmission. Could there be any issues with shift points or not shifting?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Same transmission, PCM doesn't care about 2WD or 4WD

Trans needs to come from a 5.0l or 4.2l(V6) to bolt to the 5.0l

A 1998 or up 4R70W would be best
In 1998, due to durability concerns, the intermediate one-way roller clutch was replaced with a mechanical diode providing extra holding capacity and longer service
And I think the connector on trans change that year as well

4R70W was used in:
1996–2001 Ford Explorer or Mercury Mountaineer
1993–2003 Ford F-Series

Last edited:

plknny

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So its getting pretty serious now. I got 99 mountaineer that was in a minor front end collision with 138k. Im ready to get a transmission and cant find a reasonably priced 4r70w that doesnt have 300000 miles on it or hasnt been in a junkyard for 12 years. Should i keep looking or start considering an aod trans. What are the differences? Which ones better?

Last edited:

willy

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
4r70w is best way to go 98 or newer for computer reasons

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals