• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 shakes and cuts out?

peganit2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Arrogant kids. I've been making hot rods work for longer than most of you have been alive, and that includes some of the most complicated, fully electronic modern engine swaps that are done.

It's not hard.

There is something wrong with your information, cause the setup in my 5.0 84 Ranger swap was serpentine, reverse rotation water pump and mechanical fuel pump. I had the timing chain cover I used on the shelf from the old days, and everthing just bolted up with using what looked right.

NO PS I must add in full discolsure.

That cover works..

That is all.

Last edited:

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am older than 22. Not sure why age matters?

Do you have pics of your setup?

My '92 Bronco has a serpentine setup...great? It sticks off the front of the block too much. My Explorer accessory drive tucks to the block and mounts everything high on the motor. Also, I get a far better alternator and power steering pump.

You're just jibber jabbering and not producing any useful info.

peganit2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Jibber jabbering?

85 5.0 Mustang surpentine setup with that early mechanical pump housing, pared down to a reverse rotation WP And ALT, and that van fuel pump. If you want the "serpentine" belt size, that I figured out without the help of internet gurus, go **** yourself.

I can't help those that don't want my help.

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Jibber jabbering?

85 5.0 Mustang surpentine setup with that early mechanical pump housing, pared down to a reverse rotation WP And ALT, and that van fuel pump. If you want the "serpentine" belt size, that I figured out without the help of internet gurus, go **** yourself.

I can't help those that don't want my help.
I'm an "arrogant kid"?

Like I said. I don't want a piece of shit '85 Mustang serpentine setup with a shitty alternator and a shitty power steering pump.

You're not helping me. Telling me something that WON'T work on my setup and then telling me I'm arrogant because I am disagreeing with isn't any help to anyone.

Here is an 85 5.0 Mustang timing cover

Explorer 5.0 timing cover

See the difference?

And, while MAYBE your setup works well for you. It won't work for me. I'm not going to take my perfectly good alternator/power steering pump, harmonic balancer, timing cover, belt, pulleys, and wiring to throw away so I can an 85 Mustang timing cover and accessories just to use a mechanic fuel pump.

Last edited:

peganit2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Like I said, go **** yourself dimbulb.

Get a chevy.

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Like I said, go **** yourself dimbulb.

Get a chevy.

Anyway, for anyone who actually cares I fixed my cutting out issues. I swapped to a vane style pump I got from my local auto parts store it's an Airtex. It pulls hard all the way through the rpm range. I also increased timing to 10btdc and total timing to about 40.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Play nice guys....

Glad you got the issues solved Hagan!

AJ

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
None of you dudes seem older than about 22..

Am I right?
31.5 thankyaverymuch. :icon_thumby:

Heck, had my Ranger for over 15 years. :shok:

My first setup used the long pump, pulley hub boss was 1/2" from an Explorer radiator mounted as the stock radiator was. It was std rotation but the same as a foxbody for length. Also had to pull the grille, pusher efan and radiator to get alternator pivot bolt out... which I thought was stupid. That is a lot to do if the alternator craps out on the side of the road. Went Explorer and in addition to gaining a far superior PS pump I gained a 135A alternator and now I have a low profile flexfan that gives the pusher fan a break (it ran a lot before) To remove the alternator now... I remove the alternator.

Carb has instant fuel pressure at startup (no cranking and pumping the pedal after it sits for a week or two like the mechanical pump on everything else I have driven including the 2.8 I tolerated for 10 years) and if I want to tune the carb I kill the pump and let the engine suck the bowls dry so there is no mess.

Hagen, glad you got it worked out :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

peganit2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry guys, it was the imojis, and more than a little cheap beer..

I'm actually gonna use the setup I had in that Ranger and put a conventional rotation water pump, ON THE SAME OLD TIMING CHAIN COVER,:D with! a mechanical fuel pump, for now. On my College Boy son's 87 carbed 5.0 conversion Mustang. (He's porting, polishing and fancifying a Cobra style fuelie Explorer intake for it, BUT we're missing too many expensive components to use it right now)

This time it's getting a Gilmer belted underdrive aluminum pulley setup, but the same amount of accessories, water pump and alternator, using old school belt adjustment.

I have NOTHING against belt tensioners, except weight and complexity on a race car. Hell, I was advocating and adapting them to project cars before some of you dudes were out of diapers.:icon_rofl:

Now, I just wanna simplify.

Again, apologies.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
Well ya got me right on I am 20 lol and I don't know as much as you guys thats why I came here ha ha and I'm glad to hear you got your probs fixed hagan I'm still fighting my cooling prob but it'll be gone here soon enough!!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals