• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How hard is it to move the gas tank a little?

bluebombersfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thing is I bought a camper for my truck this past summer and I need to install the belly bar or whatever its called to the bottom of my frame. Problem is the gas tank is in my way. I can't bolt the darn thing because the gas tank is right beside the frame. I just can't get my hands in there to bolt it up.
I went to my shop and they wanted $150 to do this job I was like no thank you. Is this really that complicated to move the tank a little then back?

I don't think there is no other option, can't weld it either that would be to dangerous.
I was really disappointed with this whole thing. When I first bought it I was hoping I could do this for free, now I might have to shell out $150 plus tax to get this done.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Not difficult to do. drive your truck around until you have a near empty tank.

Crawl under and remove the two bolts that hold the straps, and the tank should drop. the straps are held to the frame via t shaped notches and once you have them loose, a quarter turn either way should disengage them from the frame. Be sure to wear safety goggles as a whole ton of dirt will come down into your eyes when removing the bolts and tank.

You will also want to support the tank underneath so that it does not break the lines.
you might even get away with removing one strap and loosening the other. it will droop about 2 inches on the strapless side, that might get you enough room to do what you need to do.

Definitely not worth taking in for $150
AJ

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
If your tank has the skid plate it can be a bit more fun to get loose. If you run into a snag it only takes a few minutes and a buddy to remove the bed. 6 T55 bolts in the bed, 3 screws on the filler neck, unplug the tail light harness right behind the back bumper. Bed is really light weight but it is awkward to handle by yourself to lift it high enough to clear the frame and set it off to the side. Hence reason you need a buddy.

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you need to drop the tank down and not disconnect the lines use plastic milk crates- drop the tank down onto them while you work. Then lift one side up and connect a strap, raise the other and connect it. Works like a charm.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
not that hard. had to move the tank on my 2000 4x4 to access the sway link stud a few years ago.

Perry

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals