• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

T5 4x4

My91Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I read in an old info thread that a Ford Mustang T5 can be converted to 4x4 using chevy T5 parts. I was wondering if anyone has experience with this or more information. I know the mid nineties S-series and GMC light truck has 4x4 WC T5 in them, but no mechanical speedo. The older Chevy trucks also contained the NWC T5 in the late eighties. Also what T-case did chevy run with the T5?

thanks.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Little confusion I think. The Mustang T-5 "could" be converted using the Adavance Adapter kit for use in a 4x4 but that kit has not been available for quite a few years now. It used the Jeep tail shaft. Never heard of a Ford T-5 being converted using the S-10 for a 4x4. It's been done in the 4x2 applications.
Dave

My91Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Where I got the info about using chevy parts is from this thread .
And what i'm going off of is this quote "Usually found in mustangs but can be converted to 4x4 with chevy T5 parts."

As far as the advanced adapters kit goes, i'm not sure how the used the jeep tailshaft then? If that's the case i don't see why one from an old CJ, 83 to 86 i believe, could be used, but they are non-world class, and used a Dana 300 transfer case, which had different input splines than a mustang output shaft.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The AA kit actually just used the tailshaft housing from those years and a custom made adapter from that housing to the Ford x-fer case. Lots of things had to be changed internally. Stiil got a picture and the parts list if you are interested.
Dave

My91Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yea that would be great to see what you have. As far as using a Ford T-case on the Jeep tailhousing, I don't see much advantage. The Dana 300 is supposed to be a pretty good t-case.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The raal advantage of that kit is that is allowed you to keep your existing x-fer case and your drive shafts. PM being sent.
Dave

My91Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That makes sense. For me, I'm starting with a 2wd 302 drive train, so personally it doesn't offer much advantage.

953.0M5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The AA kit actually just used the tailshaft housing from those years and a custom made adapter from that housing to the Ford x-fer case. Lots of things had to be changed internally. Stiil got a picture and the parts list if you are interested.
Dave
You say you have the parts list for that? I would greatly appreciate it if you would share that info with me! Im looking to do the swap in my 95 and would rather have the 5-speed over the AOD.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The parts list is not going to help. The custom adapter hasn't been made for maybe five years now. They quit making the kit because they couldn't get the Jeep tailshaft (new or in very good condition) anymore.
Here's a shot of what it looks like when it was clean.
Dave

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
the s10 tailhousing would probally work,only reasons its not talked about because ford to s10 tailhousing = a gm passenger side t-case vs a ford Driver drop case, so if your gonna SAS it run a chevy axle up front and that setup would work, or a 88+ chevy case(DS drop), just have to figure out how to run the speedo.

btw the 6 bolt t-case flange is offset on a chevy to vs a ford

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
okay...i am dusting this off because i keep getting messsages at two boards based off of this from guys doing google searches. one of my threads and this and one other from here are the reference points.

the s10 stuff allows you to use the s10 case which is drivers drop...just need conversion joints at worst or other yokes to use in the ford. it will not allow you to use the passenger drop gm case.

theres a variance in the front sections which makes for different clutch spline and bell options etc..

for example...the ford typical style common to the various ford bell housings is used with the gm 4 whizzer bell in the early trucks and the v6 trucks use a gm type front case which iss common to the gm v8 pattern....

just to keep yall guessing:thefinger:

so if your here....keep googling :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals