• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

DPFE Sensor Question

Blossomforth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey

I'm replacing my DFPE sensor and hoses, and the new sensor looks different from the old one. Do the hoses go big to big and small to small? They crossed on the old setup, but it looks like they don't cross on the new one. Thanks!

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yes big to big and small to small.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
You need to replace a metal DPFE with a metal DPFE. And replace a plastic one with a plastic one. Don't know if that's why it looks different.

Blossomforth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've only seen the plastic kind for sale. I think Ford stopped producing the metal kind for some reason or another.

The new plastic sensor isnt much different. Bolt holes are the same, plug is the same, port holes are the same size as the old one. The only difference is the ports are side by side on the new plastic sensor, instead of front to back like on the old one.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ford discontinued the metal ones and the new service parts are plastic, the aftermarket ones are all plastic as well.

Go big to big, small to small.

Blossomforth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys. I'm chasing a P0401 code on the truck, and i think the hoses might be backwards on the sensor. The hoses on the truck now are too short, so i had to order some new ones.

My EGR system was in bad shape, so i've had to replace nearly everything. EGR valve was sticking and rusty, the plastic vac lines were leaking, the EGR vac solenoid wasn't producing vacuum under acceleration, etc.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Blossom: "the EGR vac solenoid wasn't producing vacuum under acceleration, etc."

That is likely caused by a tired or leaky check valve in the vacuum reservoir or vacuum line. When you step on the gas, the intake vacuum normally drops. I've had some where the heater drifted from heat to defrost when accelerating onto a freeway. As the vacuum came back up, the mode flap vacuum motor overcame the spring and went back to heat.
The vacuum reservoir is a canister that is connected to the vacuum 'consumers', such as the HVAC controls, EGR, power brake booster, etc. It is vacuumed by the engine when vacuum is high, and when engine vacuum drops, the check valve does not let the pressure(lack) in the reservoir leak back into the manifold.
Or your engine is tired or has a leaky intake, or leaky vacuum lines to other stuff.
tom

Blossomforth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Originally, i wasn't getting a reading at the vac line that goes to the EGR valve while accelerating. I read online that it goes up to 5 inches of vac while accelerating, then drops to zero as soon as you let off the gas. I still had the stock solenoid and vac lines when i did the test, and it didn't produce any readings under acceleration. I replaced the tired plastic vac lines with new rubber lines, and replaced the solenoid at the same time. I retested the system, and it was pulling 5 inches under acceleration with the new lines and solenoid, so i think i solved that issue.

Quick question: im trying to get my truck emissions compliant, i solved my EGR related issues, and cleared the code. Drove 120 miles without an issue, but tonight my check light comes on for a misfire on cylinder 1. I cleared the code with my scanner, but now im worried that i have to drive another 90+ miles before all the emissions equipment will go back to ready mode so i can have it tested.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
Yeah you should replace a metal with a plastic. Stopped making em cause they failed and cause predetonation.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
Check the plug and see if it needs new plugs/wires

Blossomforth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It needs new coil packs, but i haven't had the cash to replace them. The truck still has the original Motorcraft coils with 180k on the clock. Plugs and wires were done less then 4000 miles ago.

Blossomforth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thank you! i'll bookmark that so i can print it out later. I need to fix my misfire issue first though, or i might trip the misfire monitor before i can complete the test.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
If the hoses on the DPFE are connected to the exhaust pipe, I'm not sure that regular old tubing can be used. Some had a blue colored special tubing that was heat resistant. Things might have changed since that time, so don't take this as gospel, but I would do an inspection of the hose at the hot end after running a bit.
tom

stateranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's correct, regular hose can't be used, it has to be high temperature hose. Autozone and Pep Boys carry the dpfe hoses.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals