• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

v8 swap mpg

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The OP wants to do the swap in his 99 Extended cab 4X4, not a squarebody. If the CoD listed is for an 01 level 2, it should be very similar to the OPs truck. If the CoD shown is for a base model 2wd ranger, then we can assume the OPs CoD would be slightly worse right? Either way, the aerodynamics of the Ranger, are worse than a newer F-150 like yours, or the lightning. Saying that his truck would have better aero than your F-150 isn't true.
I am just saying in the grande scheme of the truck world the 98+ Ranger isn't THAT bad for aero. It doesn't have the hurdles to overcome that say, my Ranger has to deal with. Pushing my brick through the air with a 3 speed turning 3k rpm I can still get over 10mpg out of mine.

They only have the best of the best of my style of F-150 listed, it is only downhill from there. I have a REALLY hard time believing that my F-150 (or even a Lightning for that matter) has a better CoD than a Cobra Mustang... they show an Astro van at .40 for crying out loud.

Last edited:

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I agree the newer trucks have an aerodynamic edge over the square bodies, and you're right, that it could always be worse, but for the OP's situation it's unlikely to change.

Aerodynamics and CoD are basically functions of the shape of the vehicle. The most important area aerodynamically is the frontal area. The leading edge of the grille/headlights/ bumper and windshield are pretty vertical and square in a Ranger. They're more rounded and laid back in both the F-150 and Astro van. It's easier for the air to pass over and around the other vehicles, and then easily detach itself too.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
more like if you are concerned with fuel consumption then V8 is not for you. Maybe swap in a supercharged or turbo 4 cyl or a Volkswagen TDI

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I agree the newer trucks have an aerodynamic edge over the square bodies, and you're right, that it could always be worse, but for the OP's situation it's unlikely to change.
Considering the brick F-150's with their 150hp 302's still managed mid teens I still don't think a stockish Ranger (which is also lighter) with an HO is going to do that bad if you keep your foot out of it.

Teddyzee gets 25mpg out of his lowered third gen with a worked over HO and T5...

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
Teddyzee gets 25mpg out of his lowered third gen with a worked over HO and T5...
not going to get that out of a 4x4 rolling tall tires with 4.10 gears... probably mid to high teens.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I swapped a 302 into a Bronco II. I am carbureted, '84 BII. I said when I did it I thought I could do as well as the lousy 2.8 was doing in there. I was getting BEST 17 MPGs with the 2.8 in normal everyday driving. I built the 302 for efficiency and I am happy to say I get about 16 MPG in everyday driving. I used a '68 block and cam. I used 1.72 roller rockers with E7 heads. I used an '82 aluminum highrise 2V intake and a 2100 carb.I am running stock type log exhaust manifolds and I built a 2 1/2" single exhaust. I used my stock C5 trans ( no OD ), converted it with a C4 VB and changed the 2/3 servo. I run 235/75 tires. I am now using 2.73 rear gears, but will be switching to 3.08s soon so I can match the front diff and have 4wd usable again. Overall, very happy. I know EFI would get me more MPGs and 2wd would help as well. But for a carbed V8 in a BII . . getting 16 MPGs . . very happy.I knew I could get as ( almost) MPGs as that lousy 2.8; terrible engine for a BII.

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
I get around 6 or 7 mpg in my 84. Of course I built the 347, running a C-6/Dana 20 combo with 4:56's and 35" BOGGERs and lockers. It wasnt built for economy. It was built for when I mash on the stupid pedal, I built my Samurai for economy (still only get around 18 out of it).

If you want economy, go with the diesel

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've seen Teddy claim over 21mpg before, but I've never seen him claim 25 (not saying it didn't happen, I've never seen him say that). Just being able to hit 25mpg on a single tank once or twice doesn't mean that's a realistic expectation either.

Also, Teddyzee's truck has several fuel economy advantages compared to the OPs truck. Ted's truck is:

lowered a bunch (reduced frontal area and less air under the truck where things get really aerodynamically nasty)
2WD (lighter and less drivetrain loss)
T5 (manuals are almost always more economical than an auto like the OP wants to run)
No big tires (bigger tires add unsprung weight and rolling resistance)
lower gear ratio (I don't think Teddy runs 4.10s, so his RPMs at highway speed will be much lower)

Some 5.0 swaps into rangers might return 20mpg on a regular basis, but with the specs the OP wants to run, it's highly unlikely. Regularly seeing 20mpg with a 5.0 swap into an extended cab, 4WD, auto trans Ranger with 4.10s would be very impressive to see but I'm certainly not holding my breath.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals