• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How tight is tight?

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The day to install my 5.0 into my 02 coil spring 2WD is fast approaching, it's time to work out the install technique.

I've read of installs where the engine/trans/exhaust manifolds were snaked in as a complete unit, "Very Tight" was the description.

So, with Torque Monster headers (main delay at this point, should have been on hand a week ago) how complete can the engine/trans be?

Possible to install complete with cats, trans, headers installed?

Better to lift in the trans, lower in a long block and build out from there?

Some level of assembly between those two extremes?

For sure, I'll gut the right side of the engine bay to the firewall, very tempted to pull the brake booster out as well. That will at least make as much room as possible.

The temptation is to build a complete unit minus the upper intake, water pump and harmonic balancer, wrap the whole thing in some carpet and stuff it into the hole!

With it's fixed core support, I'm really not looking to strip the front end down to the frame, but if I must, it's an option. Or, am I overreacting to that level of dissassembly and should I bite the bullet and pull the front body panels and support?

Input for those that have been there and done that?

Thanks in advance.

toledo_tommy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm going to be following this thread . I am very close to putting my 5.0 in my 93 splash , just waiting on a couple more parts.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Depends on what belt system you are running.

If you are running Explorer or SN95 Mustang if you look at a factory 5.0 Explorer engine bay that is what yours is going to look like.

If you have the longer pump you will likely have to push the radiator ahead.

Pull the heater box but the booster shouldn't hurt anything. You should be able to get it in with the trans if you have a good hoist, I think the headers and exhaust would just be extra headache, they would be in the way for getting the mounts sorted out. Mine went in fine with the balancer and long WP.

Check out RangerSVT's threads, he has both a late third gen and a Sport Trac that would prove very interesting for you. :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

toledo_tommy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Load balancer CHECK , I picked one up from harbor freight after I got the hoist. My motor came out of a 91 Thunderbird and has the shorter water pumper on it.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
You will have the longer FEAD, best fead to use is the explorer FEAD. With your current setup, motor can be complete including manifolds, but just the motor, the trans will not make it. If you had explorer FEAD, you could do the motor & trans minus the upper intake plenum. Pull the rad, AC condenser, and heater box (only 4 bolts easily accessible with the engine in & out) and you shouldnt have a problem dropping it in with full FEAD. It wont fall in like $2 las vegas street girl, but it wont be a prom girl's first night either...

SVT

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
He is correct, the last of the (V8) T-Birds had the sn95 front accessories.

There is plenty of room in there. Mine went in with water pump and pulley, trans attached,and just a couple guys to guide it. I put the headers in while the engine was sitting in place, I believe I lifted the engine slightly with a jack. They may have gone in mounted, but that would make addressing the mounts cumbersome.

I pulled an Explorer 5.0 with the fan and trans attached with tons of room, too.

It's sitting sideways here as we were probably pulling parts off of it.

toledo_tommy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
OK Teddy . Yes my motor is out of a 91 TBird .... Are you using the mechanical fan on your Thunderbird motor or electric ? I wanted to use the stock fan set up .

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've the advantage I've got a full Explorer setup, found a great running wreck for small money.

It was during the uninstall/dissassembly that I had a royally hard time even getting at the inner exhaust pipe to manifold bolt above the starter. Was hoping to maybe bypass that issue with a package deal install.

Did hit my first real snag on the project, starting to assemble the block and when I went to chase the threads for the timing cover/wp bolts, a chunk of block at the top, left wp bolt boss popped off. The fracture looks really really old, not sure how I'm going to tackle that repair. At least I'd not gotten the heads torqued down yet. A proper repair is going to involve stripping the block all the way down and a trip to a casting repair shop. Grrrrrrr I HATE delays. There's a strong temptation to lay in some JB weld and call it good.

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
OK Teddy . Yes my motor is out of a 91 TBird .... Are you using the mechanical fan on your Thunderbird motor or electric ? I wanted to use the stock fan set up .
My accessories are Fox body Mustang depth, with a relocated rad and two electric fans.
A member named gt40 has a 4x4 with the Tbird accessories, A/C, and the stock fan.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Take note of the single core rad as well, as this gives you more mounting room...

SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals