• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 Ranger Battery light

CowBoyDave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The title kind of sums it up. Battery light on, what should I check? I've read other form that say probably alternator and checking battery is pointless. Common sense would be to check the battery because that's what the light indicates.

But to fill in more the story I pulled off the road and the truck died. If I jump it, starts fine. Low battery, bad alternator?

lvwill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
265/65/17
The battery light usually means that it isn't charging. If you have a volt meter check battery voltage with the truck off, should be around 12.5 volts or so. Then start it up and check again should be around 14 volts. If there is no change probably the alternator. Any parts store should de able to check it for you if you don't have a meter.

coyotefiveoh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
it indicates there is a problem with the charging system which could be, alternator, battery, or a wiring fault.

lvwill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
265/65/17
After reading your other post, if I recall correctly there is a fusible link in the charge wire. Should attach at the starter solenoid on the hot side. Look for wires that look swollen.

CowBoyDave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Great, thanks for the info. Ill look into both of those.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Common sense would be to check the battery because that's what the light indicates.
I do agree with you that the light runs counter to common sense. Many people think it means a battery problem, because hey, it's a battery light. But what it means is that the battery is being discharged.

GM had it right back in the 70s. Those cars didn't have a battery light. They had a generator light. It came on when the charging system had a problem and no body thought they had a problem with the battery.

CowBoyDave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I do agree with you that the light runs counter to common sense. Many people think it means a battery problem, because hey, it's a battery light. But what it means is that the battery is being discharged.

GM had it right back in the 70s. Those cars didn't have a battery light. They had a generator light. It came on when the charging system had a problem and no body thought they had a problem with the battery.
Great thanks for the info.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals