• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1990 Ranger 2.3 XLT

MGarrod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hi guys,

I have just purchased the above vehicle and I need some bits for it - but Im getting confused as to what is a Bronco II and a Ranger.
Im assuming the Bronco II is the ranger with the rear cover ?

I was told to use LMT Truck for my parts, but they dont seem to have the 90 Ranger as specific model. Its only trim bits I am after but I need them sending to the UK. Saying that I also want to lower the truck too, and I was wondering where to get springs and how to lower the rear leaf set up.

Im new to American Trucks, Leaf springs and the Ranger. I love it, but it needs some tidying.

Does anyone know a good site for second hand parts ?

Any help or links would be gratefully appreciated.

Mike

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
When I saw the word "bits" I immediately thought you were from England.

LMC is a great resource. Their catalogs cover all model years of Ranger and Bronco 2. The specific areas will show what trucks they will fit (model year wise).

A Bronco 2 was very similar to a Ranger, but a Ranger has a bed that is completely separate from the cab. A Bronco 2 is a SUV more like an original Land Rover for comparison. The Ranger and Bronco 2 shared suspension parts, axles, engines, transmissions, doors, front clips, etc but the key difference was behind the doors. Different body panels, fuel tanks, and frame that were suited for an SUV.

Here is the catalog from LMC: http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fr/t.aspx

Pages 8 & 9 will give you the milestones in both models.

Page 31 shows the cab mounts for Rangers and body mounts for Bronco 2. It may help you better understand the difference.

Ebay would be another good site for 2nd hand parts. You resources for parts would be kind of limited since these trucks were really only in North America. We have junkyards filled with them making parts very easy to find here so there are not a lot of places to buy 2nd hand pieces.

Read through the tech library on this website. It should help familiarize you with these trucks: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.shtml

I do have one question... Are you a Top Gear fan?

MGarrod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Awesome response - thank you so much.
I am really looking for someone to send me some "bits" that I need and I will send them some dollars to cover shipping parts, and their time and effort.

None of the parts I initially want are on ebay.com, certain they are not on Ebay.co.uk haha

I will read through the tech articles, and thank you for explaining the Bronco differences and linking me too.

As for Top Gear, its massive over here and I grew up on it. However, its headed by Jeremy Clarckson, who pretty much runs the show - he is arrogant, a biggot and a racist and therefore I havent watched the show for about ten years. People like that disgust me, and some of the things they do as a show to gain media attention are just stupid and really not healthy for society.
Also, I like cars - and its not a car show, its a TV show that has cars in it. Generally shit ones, or ones that are so expensive its just a joke - its not for me.

I dont own a TV (well I do, but only for movies) and havent watched any programs for about 5 years. It may be sad to some people, but i prefer reading the news on the web, or paper and also finding out information as it really is, and not glamorized for TV bull.

You have opened a can of worms here haha. I hate advertising being forced upon me, and I love people and travel - something that I fear most TV stations make more money from destroying, than reporting.

That said - I bloody love this truck :)

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
No problem. I apologize for the delayed reply. I was very busy yesterday.

What exactly are you looking for? I have a friend who parts Ranger's out and we have a few junkyards around. I can see what I can find for you.

Don't move to America lol. Clarkson is mild compared to a lot of people here...

I certainly respect your views on TV. I can't argue with that point one bit. I don't watch the news because I don't see the value in exploiting people's problems for ratings. I also don't read much because I do enough of that at work. I usually watch movies or Netflix. Not very often do I actually watch scheduled programming.

So what are the specs on your Ranger? I am guessing 2.3L 5 speed 2wd short cab short bed? Any pictures?

MGarrod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the reply chap

All of the above - its an auto, so Im guessing 4 sp though! The engine is sweet as new - and very quiet. And the auto box plods on nicely.

Its way too doggy to take pics of at the moment haha. I am after some front lower springs (about 2 inch would be fine) I believe any more than two inch and I need Ibeams too ? So Im told.

My intention is to lower the front down and space/mirror polish some MK3 Supra rims I have and put them on with some decent tyres. As for the paint, Im thinking NATO so Dessert sand or Olive army paint with some pin stiping and custom graphic painted on the doors.

Truck is in great condition rot wise, but the paint is terrible and peeled in places (sun bleached etc)

Im after front drop springs,
top of the windscreen visor
really good condition real lights (all red)
and the plastic/rubber sill that goes along the base of the driver and passenger windows as mine has cracked and completely destroyed with time.
Also a really clean passenger headlight
And an after market grill maybe.
Also after one of those covers for the dash - if you know what I mean

Thats just for starters

Ive just dyed all of the carpets black, rather than manky green and rust colour.

MGarrod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
REAR lights - not real lights!!

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Plods on nicely lol. It is a 4 speed auto.

Not sure about the I-beams, I am more into making trucks taller. I can tell you from experience though, you will definitely want to invest in a set of adjustable alignment bushings if you are going to lower it. You can find those here: http://www.moogproblemsolver.com/ It will save you a lorry full of quid on tires!

As for lowering springs, you may be able to get away with taking a sawzall and remove a loop or 2 from the top of the coil. I know some friends that have done this on various vehicles.

I like the flat paint job idea. Make it look like a Spitfire from WW2. Just add 50 cal machine guns :icon_thumby:

Those are some pretty basic parts. I would honestly try ebay for lowest prices on shipping. You'll need to go to LMC Truck for the window trim. That's not a real common part.

For your lights, I'd recommend trying a restoration kit. http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g3000-heavy-duty-headlight-restoration-kit/

I used this one on my Ranger and it did a great job. They are do for a touch up though. I've also done brake lights and marker lights with it. It works great! The trick is to remove the outer oxidation with a very fine sand paper.

Before:

After:

You should be able to get carpet dye locally.

I would take that oppurtunity to pull the carpet and insulation and check for any floor pan rust. If there is any, paint with something tough. I like spray in bedliner for stuff like that. It will help insure your feet stay dry for years to come.

I think you'll find the Ranger community a lot like the MG owners club. Just a bunch of average Joes who love getting their finger nails dirty :beer:

MGarrod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thats great - the problem with my light is that its on the inside. Im not sure if I can get to the back of it to be honest, but I will check.

Ebay has been a disaster - shipping is insane. For example two door mirrors on ebay 25 USD - with shipping - 129 USD!! I got them off Amazon in the end 55 USD delivered!! But not everything is on Amazon. I even got a quote for some lower springs from a few truck stores in the USA, and the shipping was more than the parts!!

Ill have a look at the alignment bushings too - thank you. I was debating chopping the springs, but didnt know if it was the "done" thing. I have done it on other things in the past and they were fine, but I didnt know about a weighty American truck

Ive dyed the carpets now - they have come up really good. I think I will remove them anyway though and check the underneath (cross my fingers)

My friend is over in Poland at the moment, I have asked him to source me a gun rack for the rear haha

NoahS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
For the headlights on a 1990 I have read that you can use a heat gun to loosen up the glue and a flat head to get the front off. Once you do that you can dry it out and use the restoration kit on the inside and outside and they will look good as new. You can silicone adhesive to reglue it

As for the tail lights I've only seen them with a white square for your reverse lights, never all Red but that doesn't mean they don't exist

MGarrod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I tried the heat gun trick on my old Supra mk4 - completely destroyed the lights. Im not that delicate haha

As for the lights - the ones on the truck at the moment are all red but a bit battered and bruised. I thought they were stock - maybe I will try and clean them up first.

Thank you for the reply

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals