• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

harness wiring coversion

abelsep

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 ranger
Transmission
Manual
I need some advise, I'm working on 99 ranger doing a 5.0 conversion from a 2000 explorer, how far I need to change wiring harness? do I need to change under the dash harness as well? so far I have change all the wiring under the hood, but I noticed that the 3 big connectors that connect to fire wall the pins are different that the ones from ranger. any advise will be appreciated.

oddball101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
There are a lot of write-ups and build threads for 98+ ranger 5.0 wiring and swap info. I'd follow through those to see what they said about the wiring. I do know that if you don't have the torsion bar frame ranger, you will have to make or purchase a set of plates to replace the motor mounts. You may also have to match the return/returnless fuel lines depending if you have the same system or not. Along those lines, the fuel pressure regulator may need to be replaced or swapped out with the donor (needs to be 72psi). Other than that, you shouldn't have to worry about wiring PATS, I think you can just swap the transceiver, key and computer over. I am not sure about your VSS or ABS wiring either. As I recall, there is a lot that just swaps directly over, given your year ranges. At the c110/c115 (42pin connector), I grounded the starter relay wire to the firewall next to the pcm where another ground is already present. I have to match up the remaining few wires going to different pins on each side of the connector (donor/ranger). All the wiring I had to do under the dash was for the PATS, ABS and VSS.. these are things you want to look at first, involving your own swap combo. I wouldn't be surprised if all you had to do was get plates and relocate a couple of pins after dealing with your fuel system differences..

Look for write-ups that others have done. I always learn something new even if it isn't always my exact swap combo.

Wish ya luck

Last edited:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Don't go too far on the truck, really only need to remove the engine harness that has the 42 pin to chassis connector and the 38 pin one that goes to the transmission. Those connectors should be pinned almost identical . Looks like no fuel problem. For PAT's either get it programed out or add the PAT's module behind the glove box area and add the transponder module if have the have the keys and column mounted transponder. Assuming you have the donor ECU. Picture of main 42 pin connector on a 4.0L. Your year of truck and donor are the easiest combination to use.
Dave

abelsep

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 ranger
Transmission
Manual
thanks for this info. I'm fixing to get started

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

abelsep

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 ranger
Transmission
Manual
I end up replacing all wiring harness from engine bay to dashboard, the reason I did this was because I added power windows and lock.
everything was going fine until I got to the connector below driver panel.
I'm need wiring diagram for this connector, on my 99 ranger connector to match 00 explorer connector. any help will be appreciated

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
What's broken?
Are you being sarcastic or really don't know being from PA and all?

It is curiously misspelled tho so I can understand. It should be fixin. (No "g")

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals