• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.6 DOHC or 5.0

Rangerkid1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
hey guys i'm new here so forgive me if this has already been asked a million times, i have a 1999 Ranger XLT Flex Fuel, I've been considering swapping out the 3.0 V6 for a V8. I've seen on here that most of builds have been using the 5.0 liter from the Explorer's. I would like to know if the 5.0 Mustang engines are usable as well and if so will the 4.6 DOHC Cobra Engine work as well.

camodown

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'll let this pic help you decide, anything can be done but it takes a lot less work for the 5.0

Rangerkid1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
thank you! i didnt realize how much bigger the 4.6 was. Damn

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Pictures like that give a really good perspective. Depending on the year Ranger, the 5.0 L is so easy of a drop in swap, your year and the 2000 being the easiest. I myself would hate to have to open up any of the new mod motors to do work. The 5.0L can easily make the same power without all the work. If I was to do a mod motor, I'd go with the 3V 4.6.
Dave

Rangerkid1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Good to know thanks Dave. As far a Transmissions go, do you know what trannys work best with the 5.0L engine. i know im going to have go to a different rear end to handle the increased power and torque output, but i have no idea what transmission to use.

19bonestock88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Plane travel? I'll do my flying on the ground, thanks!
Yeah, the 4.6 is huge compared to the 5.0... There is more power available though... More out of the box, and more potential(from what I have read)

19bonestock88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Plane travel? I'll do my flying on the ground, thanks!
The stock 7.5 inch rear can handle the output of a stock 5.0 as long as you don't beat on it too hard, but be looking for an explorer axle... It's a 31 spline 8.8 inch axle...

What kind of transmission do you want, auto or manual?

With auto, you either want the C4 if going carbed, or just run he 4R70 from the explorer if you stick with EFI...

With a stick, you can either go with a T5, sourcing parts from mustang, s10, thunderbird, etc and adapting a slave cylinder to it, or you could source a M5OD-R2 from a 4.2 liter F150...

Rangerkid1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you! is the 4R70 and 4 speed with an overdrive? and is the 8.8 inch rear end going to change the ride quality and or height of the vehicle at all?

Rangerkid1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
my ranger is also a 2WD i dont know if thats going to change anything

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals