• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0L (OHV) Conversion FAQ's (Read Before Posting)

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Please read through the following links before posting any questions. If you then have any questions or want to clarify something in regards to a 4.0L swap, feel free to post.

4.0L Conversion FAQs

4.0L (OHV) Conversion

4.0L Conversion - Explorer To Bronco II

4.0L Conversion On Older Ford V-6's

More Links:

Overdrive on A4LD doesn't work after 4.0L conversion - Click HERE.

Another A4LD overdrive wiring discussion - Click HERE.

4.0L won't start - Neutral Safety Switch - Click HERE.

Fuel Lines - CLick HERE.

What 4.0L to use - Click HERE.

What harnesses work best on 1983-1988 Ranger - Click HERE.

More on harness selection - Click HERE.

You can't use a 1983-1988 harness (Unless your AllanD) - Click HERE.

1992 Ranger 4.0L in to a 1991 2.9L Ranger - Click HERE.

4.0L swap in to a 1993-1994 Ranger - Click HERE.

4.0L swap in to a 1988 Ranger - Click HERE.

2000 3.0L to a 4.0L SOHC - Click HERE.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
There was a sticky in this forum from Jrod-13. I was cleaning out some info to compile it and somehow accidently erased the whole thread. If you had a recent post in that sticky I appologize.

neojdt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a question thats probably hasn't been asked. I own a 2003 ranger 4x4 with a manual trans. I really like the truck & want to keep it but the fuel economy really sucks. I wanted to know if was possible to get the same year 2.3L & swap it out with the 4.0 thats in it now & still use the same manual trans that it already has. Thanks

tylerhertz10

Reaction score
Ok got a 96 donor with a 4.0 my truck is a 94 4.0 can I use the old intake harness and ecm with the 96 4.0? Don’t want all the egr mess. Trying to simplify the swap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

99RadRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Jim,

First and foremost, amazing site, amazing detail, amazing help! Absolutely insane detail!

Second, I sort of need some help and I think this is an easy question, but, I just bought a 1999 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4, Manual Transmission with NO ENGINE in it. The Ranger originally came with a 4.0L Ford Cologne V6 OHV engine in it. I would like to put the most powerful, upgradable, and least known issues, 4.0L Ford Cologne V6 SOHC version they had (if I can find it). (Ultimately I am interested in doing a V6 OHV swap to a V6 SOHC, and want to know if there are any issues or if it is possible).

Couple Questions (if you would be so kind to answer, or help me with direction):
1) Can you put a 4.0L V6 SOHC Engine in a Ranger that had originally a 4.0L V6 OHV Engine in it? If so, I assume this swap is easy?
2) Can I use the wire harness, computer, etc. on the original Ranger (because it had a 4.0L V6 OHV already in it previously) be able to be reused to install the 4.0L V6 SOHC? If so, I assume it is plug and play?

I have read pretty much all of your articles, and I can't seem to find a confirming yes to this question..

I eventually would like to get what ever V6 engine you suggest, tear it down, and rebuild it, possibly with performance parts and and add a supercharger potentially. Ultimately I would like to get above the 250 threshold for HP and TQ while maintaining a Manual transmission and a V6 engine that I can work on.

I appreciate any advice you can give, and I am open to all of the suggestions, and if you do not have time, I understand, but any advice you can give me would be extremely helpful, and much appreciated!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals