• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98-07 16" Factory Wheels on a 90 Ranger Super Cab?

Demersus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hello everyone,

I'm sure this question has been asked many times before, but I need some input on using 16" 1998 - 2007 factory wheels on a 1990 Ranger Custom. From what I read on this page,

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/wheel_fitment.html

I believe they should fit fine, but I'm still not sure about needing back spacers. And how would I go about sizing tires?

I can get this set of NOS for $125, which is a great deal. But I just need to be a bit more sure first.

Thanks for your help.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
You didn't mention if yours is 2WD?
If so, then no problem at all.

Some later wheels won't fit over the 4WD hub of older models though (I think some wheels starting around 2001, but not real sure exactly when). '98-'00 wheels should fit, as these trucks still had locking hubs (just a different type).

Edit:
n/m
I just now seen it on your profile... Yeah no problem fitting any year RBV wheels on any year 2WD truck.

Last edited:

Demersus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks for the confirmation. It is a 2x4 and I had read about the issue you mentioned, so I wasn't concerned about that. I was mostly worried about tire fitment that won't rub on anything. But it looks like P225 55 R16 tires work fine and no back spacers or anything is needed. I'm pretty happy to have found these. It's a lot cheaper than going for aftermarket wheels, and I like the fact that the center caps say Ford. I did want a black spoke type, but hey, for the money these will look good enough. Everyone knows the factory 14" alloy wheels are ugly, every style of them.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
Just to help out anyone else looking into the same thing, so was I, here is a good tire size calculator that you can compare your current size tire to the size you are looking at or to find the diameter that will fit. https://tiresize.com/calculator/ With larger rims the the middle number or sidewall height needs to be smaller. The sidewall height is a percentage number so in this case particular instance the the sidewall is 55% of the width of the tread.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You obviously got a lot more out of that page than I did. How did you determine that you could put 16” wheels on a Gen 2 Ranger? If you snagged ‘em, hows about a pic?

I have a ’92 with ugly steelies and 235/75 R15s. I’d love to find tires that are a bit fatter (even if I have to add some wheel spacers) and different rims, but don’t want any rubbing or handling issues and can’t really invest in a lift kit at the moment. Kind of thought that I’d pretty much be stuck with something similar from another Ranger or maybe Jeep, up through 1997 (since I have a 4x4). Are there other options out there?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals