• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

when should the timing chain get replaced?

mixwhit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I'm looking at purchasing an '03 with a 4.0L V6 and 158k miles. I'm guessing it's probably due for a timing chain replacement if I buy it, although I haven't been able to find a maintenance schedule online. Anyone know what the maintenance interval is for it?

Also, is there anything else big like that that is probably about due?

thanks!

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
The timing chain is supposed to last the life of the engine, no replacement necessary.

reginald fairfield

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter FF
Transmission
Manual
Replacing the timing chain at that mileage is a good idea, but I don't know if it is completely necessary. I would change all the fluids and oils including axles, flush the radiator, etc. I would also check things like the universal joints and wheel bearings for wear. Some motors will get completely destroyed if the timing chain snaps, I know that. I don't know if the 4.0 L is one of them.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Forget about it. If it is running and the chains are quiet it's probably fine. If it isn't in a vehicle I would be suspicious, even if my mother were selling it to me. It's an overhead cam motor and it has a regular timing chain that goes from the crank to where the camshaft would be in a pushrod motor--but it's just a blank called a jackshaft in the 'cammer. Then, there is a timing chain in the rear for the right side cam and one in the front for the left side. If it is a 4x4 there is another chain that drives a balance shaft in the crankcase. All of those chains have nylon tensioners and guides. In earlier motors the guides dissolved and the motors started getting loud. In about 2001 or so I replaced a motor in a '98 Explorer that had finally had a chain fail. The owner of that truck could not get Ford to touch it out of warranty--the dealership mechanics did not know how to set up the timing at that time. So he drove it to failure and I put in a rebuild from one of those cheap places that paints over nasty shit with silver paint. At some point Ford had fixed the problem I would guess, but I wouldn't spend much money to find out if this motor is a quiet one unless you know first hand. There are no timing marks to line up and the chains sprockets on the cams are held with bolt tension: if you loosen one, the cam jumps and you'll never get it to run again. It takes special proceedures--probably involving a piston stop and a pair of degree wheels and a dial indicator or some neato kit that Ford developed for the techs.

Muddycowboy

GOT MUD?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
check your local dealer for a maintance schedule they will be happy to print one out for you im sure

Bruce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I have a friend who has a relative that works for FORD and when i bought my 2002 Ranger with the 4.0 he said that they have seen the chains fail at 70,000 miles. I dont know what year that was may of been an earlier model like 1 of the first years of the motor and he had a 1999 with 138,000 miles on it in his shop that he just got done changing the engine because of chain failure. I know of another 2000 4.0 that has150.000 on it and chains rattling and need changing and motor has to come out to change them from what i hear. Im not trying to scare anyone only stating what i have heard. The KEY factor of the whole deal is maintenance regular oil changes because of the ones i have heard of failing they had said where neglected and not maintained . I bought my truck with 43,000 miles on it and i have 71,000 on it now. Im not easy on a vehicle but i do change my oil every 6,000 miles and use nothing but full synthetic oil and i dont use the cheap filters either, most of my driving is highway

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
I have a friend who has a relative that works for FORD and when i bought my 2002 Ranger with the 4.0 he said that they have seen the chains fail at 70,000 miles.
the timing chain almost never fails....the 4.0 SOHC's weak link is the hydraulic timing chain tensioners. these fail quite a lot and cause the chain to fall off.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Chain rattling from the tensioners failing. I've never heard it--just cleaned up the mess afterwards. No worries with a 3.0 though.

This doesn't mean the 4.0 Cammer is a bad motor--far from it. It's a better motor than a pushrod 4.0. It just sucked while they were figuring out the correct receipe for the tensioner material. I drove that Explorer after I installed the new motor and it is a great motor. If you are used to a pushrod 4.0--it feels just like it, but it doesn't fall on its ass seconds after each shift. Those heads have huge ports that shoot straight down into the chambers--it's a hotrod motor and if someone told me the Mustangs were getting 250hp out of it, I would not be suprised. The only thing about it is it's size--it's HUGE compared to a pushrod 4.0. One thing I like about the pushrod 4.0 is the displacement density--a lot of cubes for such a compact size and it's a heavy-duty little bugger too. they don't fail from structural issues. They are big inside and tought for such a small package. The Cammer takes up a lot of space.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
These are the parts required--

70thebeach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I'm looking at purchasing an '03 with a 4.0L V6 and 158k miles. I'm guessing it's probably due for a timing chain replacement if I buy it, although I haven't been able to find a maintenance schedule online. Anyone know what the maintenance interval is for it?

Also, is there anything else big like that that is probably about due?

thanks!
I have a 2004 six cylinder 280,000 miles which I bought new and never replaced timing chain

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Mines the pushrod too I suppose. I got it at 233,000 and now it's going on 400. I have a 96 in an Explorer on standby out by the lift but am feeling no pressure to rush.
I know what you mean about the drop after a shift. What I've learned to do if I'm wanting it to move is hold a bit more rpm through the shift and it scoots right on

CrabGuy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2004-Bone stock
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Why should I pay someone else to screw it up when I can screw it up myself for free?
Holy 2008 necro thread; I wonder if he ever pulled the motor and replaced them?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals