• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 Cold Air Intake

lulanda21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ive been trying to install a cold air intake on my 4.0 ranger, Its a el cheapo from auto zone but I have a nice filter.
Anyways, I hooked everything up (truck ran great before) and it was hard to start, and when it started it would idle rough and shut off, but I can unplug the MAF and it idles fine. One of my buddies said that I prolly have a leak so I took it back off and checked everything, and tightend it again and it still runs like crap, It does smooth out a bit when it warms up though....
Any Ides?
MAF, TPS, and the Idle can thingy on the side of the intake are all new also.
The truck has also been tuned up recently.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Is this an oiled filter? If so the oil from it probably contaminated the MAF wire.

lulanda21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Many years back I add an AEM polished air tube and dry cone filter. I had been using a K&N oiled cone setup for many years. I never had a problem with any of the setups. I got tired of having to re-oil the K&N every once in awhile so I thought it was time to swap it for a dryflow filter. Maybe you pulled off a wire somewhere or a vacumm hose and don't know it? Recheck everything and if not, then put it back to stock and see what happens. I never heard of anybody having issues swapping to a tube intack and different filter before.

:icon_confused::icon_confused:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
That's kind of what I was wondering Stray. Did you reconnect the breather that goes to the oil filler neck? And if so, is it AFTER the MAF? Ive seen a reputable shop from here install that pipe prior to the MAF on a guy at work's Mustang. After he and the shop couldn't figure out why it was running like ass and messing up MAF's, I looked at it and found that. Problem solved.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Put your factory setup back on, just for fun, fire it up, and see if it runs right again.

If it does, try resetting the computer's memory and try again with the new setup. You altered air flow when you installed the new system and the computer may not have figured it out yet.

lulanda21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Everyhting looks good, I checked all wires and only one hose going on it and thats the hose for + crank case pressure. When i put old setup back on it runs fine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals