• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bed liner or Sound Deadner (IE: Dynamat)???

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I had to take care of some rust issues on the floor of my first gen and as such currently have the whole interior stipped out (except the insulation and air box on fire wall). While everything is appart I want to go ahead and so some sound deadening on the truck. I've heard of using bed liner for this but never seen it or experienced the results. On the other hand I know that alot of people have used the dynamat type products and had good results.

I wouldn't consider using the bedliner, but I will be spraying a DIY bedliner on the bottom of the cab for an underdcoat. I'm also considering using it on the engine bay but have to do some more research on that application. I may have enough left over to do the inside of the cab as well. Would I really see any benefit from using it on the inside since it'll already be on the bottom, and probably the firewall.

I know one big pro for using the dynamat type material is that it could be applied any where int he interior, and if I used it I'd probably apply it to every bit of sheet metal that wouldn't be seen once the interior is back in. If this is the route to take what products are people using now? I don't want to break the bank, but I would like something decent.

How about insulation, what would I want to use in addition to the sound deadner on the floor to help with heat? I'm guessing that just making sure that the carpet I use has a good just backing would be enough when added to the liner and deadner.

I appreaciate any input!

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
There is something similar in look to bed liner that is actually a spray / brush on sound deadening. The one I saw used on one of the Powerblock shows was called LizardSkin

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LIZ-50115

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The bedliner would seal the floor from any moisture you drag in that seeped through the carpet (water, mud, snow...)

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks backroad101. I appreciate the suggestion, but not interested in buying a spray in deadener. I'd rather use a press on sheet type than spray on if buying something just for that. Only reason I'm talking about spray liner is just because I may have enough left over from the undercoating to do the inside floor as well.

The bedliner would seal the floor from any moisture you drag in that seeped through the carpet (water, mud, snow...)
This is being built as a daily driver street truck, that leans a little more towards low buck show truck (not that it'll ever see one) than dirt road driving (though it'll see them more than shows). That said mud won't be an issue, and given where I live (it was in the mid 60s today) snow isn't an issue either. Not worried about sealing the floor from the inside, that's already been taken care of. I've already coated the floor with a nice coating of rust bullet and parts of that have had water standing on it for months with no problems what so ever.

I'm asking this purely from a sound deadening stand point. Don't care if it's abrasion resistant, it'll be covered with carpet. Don't care if it looks good, it'll be covered with carpet. I also don't care if it's water proof, the floor is already sealed. It could also be a moot point because I may not have enough left over after undercoating. I simply want to know if it's better, or if a Dynamat type deadener would be better.

FYI sprayed on the interior the bed liner I'd use would be between 1/16 and 1/8 of an inch thick. I don't know how that compares to the different types of mat products.

PFM99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ild just get some deadener i used second skin in my truck work great. I dont know about using bedliner i know deadener is rubbery to soak up the vibrations and bedliner turns into hard plastic i wouldent think it would work as good.

Vexarana

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm curious about this as well. I've seen people who use Dynamat, Lizard Skin, Second Skin, etc... and nothing really that compares them all in how well they work VS their prices... I mean right now I've got some ghettofab going on; roofing insulation stuck to my truck's headliner. Used maybe $12 worth of liner, bought a can of adhesive for $8, and it certainly dropped interior noise. But I'm looking for more quiet... and not sure if I should go ahead and use that insulation on door panels/floor/etc or invest in some actual sound deadener...

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Bedliner does little to nothing for sound deading. Plus it does nothing for blocking out heat. I would NOT use it for sound deading

I've seen it used as it before; and it failed miserably plus it gets really hot

Last edited:

PFM99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Iv heard of people using caulking and sand mixed together but i have no clue how well it works

firebomb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
what about using strips of birch plywood for the sound deadener? i heard of people useing that and mdf glued to the pannel with pro bond or gorilla glue to stop flexing. your talking a 150 -160 db set up. i am about to do this to my ranger to stop the flexing from a t-line i have in there. the pannel flex so much that i lose db's if it can't flex it cant lose db's and can't oil can and crack or work harden or aneal. this or useing some sds tiles sound deadener show down tiles top of the line stuff if you just want to stop rattles. a little goes a long way for rattles but flexing is different. you will notice a 3 db gain but still flexing will flex on thin deadener. like dynamat, e-dead ,fattmat ,etc... thesre is a difference between sound quality and spl. if just a small set up use sound deadener. if a mega set up go for flex reducing stuff like mdf glue to the pannels. i am hitting 141.5db's till i stop the flexing wich is easier said then done the deadener will help after words to stop the rattles too tighten up the hole set up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals