• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Custom Sub box Build

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
For christmas i got an amp, kicker zx 400.1 and i will be using it to push a Kicker solo baric l5 10in dual 4ohm coils. I chose the kicker over the mtx thunder square because of price even though the mtx was shiny, i got it for 119 on ebay from a reputable seller, it is last years model but i made sure it was brand new.

i was concerned about the output of the amp vs the wattage of the sub so i emailed kicker and they assured me that the amp and sub combo would be just fine.

so now the hard part. im going to attempt to build my own custom box.
i got my idea from a member on here i dont remember his name, but he hasnt been active since like 2009. so i cant ask him how he did it but i was really impressed by it so im going to attempt to recreate it.

here is the sub
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350491607815&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:1123#ht_4433wt_1219

here is the amp
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_21954_Kicker-ZX400.1-10ZX400.1.html

sub box.

i am in michigan for the rest of the week so i will start construction as soon as i get time, like first of next week, so im using this week to gather materials via the internet. all i have to do next week is pick up a sheet of mdf board.

this is my first sub box build so any tips/pointers would be appreciated.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
I would flip the port to the back for the wires. I think it would look a little cleaner personally.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I would flip the port to the back for the wires. I think it would look a little cleaner personally.
Agreed. I'm not big on exposed wires. I would also consider protecting that sub with a grille.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
i did not think of moving the wire terminals to the back, that would definitely make the build alot easier, less little pieces to cut. i could just cut a hole in the back of the box. sweet thanks!

and as for the grill. that will come after the box is built and i like it.

what about as far as finishin the box, i was thinking either normal carpet or some sort of truck bed coating?

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
i did not think of moving the wire terminals to the back, that would definitely make the build alot easier, less little pieces to cut. i could just cut a hole in the back of the box. sweet thanks!

and as for the grill. that will come after the box is built and i like it.

what about as far as finishin the box, i was thinking either normal carpet or some sort of truck bed coating?
Me and my buddies used to Bondo our boxes as well. I'm not sure if it really did anything. LOL.

As far as carpet is concerned, I would match the carpet to your interior. I've always liked when they match. I'm going to eventually change the box in my Mustang to Charcoal Grey instead of the off-black that it is (bought it like that).

EDIT: We put a thin coat of Bondo on the outside, right on the MDF.

Last edited:

Burnt2Death

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I like the box. I have been looking for a nice used box for my regular cab ranger since the day I bought it. I have a 10" Pioneer sub and the slim enclosure from my wrecked Chevy Cobalt I was thinking about installing if I can ever figure out what I would need.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
yeah ill probably just carpet it, the color will just come down to how much it costs.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
not to discourage you or anything. but you probably wont like that sub. its good if you just want noise. but has no clarity to it.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i like the box...

i would flip the wiring to the back, like mentioned...
and find a round sub... i don't like the square ones. and remember just b/c its a 10" sub does NOT mean you need a 10" hole cut in your box.
i would also look into doing a "ghost" box.. figure out a way to mount the sub where you see NOTHING but carpet. it'd probably be hard in a ranger. my box protects everything in my b2 so you dont see the subs or amps(much)..

i'd have to do some thinking on it. there's gotta be a way to do it.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
not to discourage you or anything. but you probably wont like that sub. its good if you just want noise. but has no clarity to it.
dang it. dont break my heart. im not really going for competition here, it'll be good enough for what i want i think...

i like the square because its different, and i only know one person with one. i heard it, it doesnt sound bad to me.

and a ghost build would be very hard, i have that pull over tarp thing that will make it invisible though :)

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
i like the box...

i would flip the wiring to the back, like mentioned...
and find a round sub... i don't like the square ones. and remember just b/c its a 10" sub does NOT mean you need a 10" hole cut in your box.
i would also look into doing a "ghost" box.. figure out a way to mount the sub where you see NOTHING but carpet. it'd probably be hard in a ranger. my box protects everything in my b2 so you dont see the subs or amps(much)..

i'd have to do some thinking on it. there's gotta be a way to do it.
it could work if i had an 8 and use the jump seat as some sort of cabinet. and yes i know i dont need a 10in hole haha, im not a bad carpenter, just havent build a sub box before hahaha

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
It has nothing to do with being a bad carpenter. It has to do with a lot of people assume that for a 10" sub you need a 10" hole. Just a friendly word of advice in case you didn't know lol

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
It has nothing to do with being a bad carpenter. It has to do with a lot of people assume that for a 10" sub you need a 10" hole. Just a friendly word of advice in case you didn't know lol
haha thanks i appreciate it.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im not trying to break your heart. you may put it in and love it. ive never liked kicker subs. but thats me., i have a RE audio S-E-X 12'' in my 240 with 1,000 watts rms of bass and its ridiculous. but also EXPENSIVE lol

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I'm running one kicker cvr dual voice coil 10" with a kicker 750.1 class d amp and love it. Sounds good and will make lots of bass. Full range of sound so... It's all good. I love it.

I prefer memphis audio personally but I got this kicker stuff cheap and It sounded good with 2 10's then I went to a custom box with a single 10

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals