• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Manifold to Header Swap EGR questions

madhouze803

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Since I bought my Ranger 2yrs ago it had a small crack in the manifold, It leaked a little but nothing bother some. Recently The crack has gotten bigger and the donut gasket has blown out, and now I've got to fix it. A friend gave me a steel header from a newer (96 i think) ranger. I know it will bolt right on but the issue I know I'm going to have is the EGR tube, my current tube will not directly bolt on and I don't have the tube from the newer ranger. My question is would it be better to block off the egr on the header and intake (EGR Delete?) or Make a custom tube? If I have to make my own tube I was thinking of using pipe fittings from a hardware store and a flexible steel tube (like used on a gas stove or dryer) to the EGR valve.

I did search for a few days here and Google using different terms and key words but couldn't find anything on the subject.

Thanks in advance for any help.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I don't see why a stove or dryer flex pipe wouldn't work, as long as it's rated for some heat.

It might not live as long as the OEM ones, but it should be better than nothing.

madhouze803

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Adsm, i figured I could also wrap in heat tape for exhaust if needed.

Does any one know what the thread size is for the EGR valve? Since I have the header in hand I can just match those threads up, but for the other end I dont want to stop mid swap to run to the hardware store and find what I Need.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I have used silicone heater hose with good success to repair broken tubes.

If you get a cheap OEM header from an older ranger it is a direct bolt on replacement. There were cast headers and steel headers. There is a certain year steel header that will bolt on. I had one on my shelf for my 89

madhouze803

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
UPDATE: I finally got around to doing this swap..... It was a little more of a PITA but came together nicely. What I did was pulled an EGR tube from a 94, the EGR valves are different and the way EGR tube attaches too. I also pulled the nut that attaches to egr valve from a 92. I cut the nut down so the flare from the tube would pull through, and TIG welded it to the new style fitting and test fit it to the EGR....All good nice and tight.
Next I knew the tube were bent differently through the years, I figured I would be able to make minor bends to make it fit correctly...WRONG. First bend I made snapped the tube at the flare connecting to the new header. What I ended up doing was re-flared the tube and connected it to the header, this time a made it only a few inches long and did the same with the EGR side. Went to the local hardware store and bought a 1'x1/2"ID copper tube and 2- 5/8" (OD of EGR tube) to 1/2" brass unions. With the header and Egr bolted in place I had about a 6" gap between the tubes, cut the copper to fit and bent to match up both ends,then attached the unions. I now have a complete EGR tube and a MOSTLY quiet exhaust ( still have to replace muffler and tail pipe).

madhouze803

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

rangerraider1979

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I once had a explorer and oriellys had an egr tube for it and it was said to be an dealer part and they had it. Just an idea

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals