• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 mazda b2300

94b2300ranger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3l is out! 4.0l is in!!!
Transmission
Manual
Well i figured i would start a build thread to show my progress, i have a 94 mazda b2300 5 spd that has been in the family since it was new. i recently picked up a 4.0 for $100 and plan on building a prerunner out of it. heres what im starting with.

this is the 4.0 i picked up

i did the freeze plugs on the block

i plan on doing head gaskets and replacing all the wear items like pulleys, waterpump, etc. im shooting for a clean build, all parts painted and a clean engine bay. im on a tight budget, so progress will be slow but will happen. this is just a start of what i have planned.

im always open to suggestions, so feel free to leave a comment.

94b2300ranger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've done a few things to it. i put a grant steering wheel, exploder center console and seats.

i also put an OHC from an explorer and the auto dim mirror and just recently got the auto on/off headlights working. that took me awhile to figure out, i have a diagram somewhere on how i did it, i just need to find it.

i also installed a trip minder, just working on figuring out how to get the mpg meter to work correctly.

heres a video of the auto on/off working.

http://vid1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj550/89broncodove/VID_20170304_175259671.mp4

94b2300ranger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
All parts will be media blasted and painted. my question is, how do you disassemble the alt. and ac to paint them without destroying them? let me rephrase that, do i have to worry about anything while taking them apart before i paint the housings?

94b2300ranger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
anyone in central california looking for a 2.3L out of a 94 mazda b2300 2wd with 200k with a rebuilt head put on it at 170K replaced Alt., PS pump, coil packs, waterpump, crankshaft sensor, clutch. thats all i can think of right now. it will come with motor, trans and harness w/computer and everything you will need to drop it in and get it going. still in the truck so it can be started. looking to get $500 but price is negotiable.

Last edited:

94b2300ranger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
low smog numbers, runs great.

Jerlaine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not bad gonna be a big project swapping the motor and wiring harness. Anyways what vehicle did you pull the tripminder from? I've wanted to install one on mine but the link in the tech section doesn't work, so not sure what vehicles to check at the yards for one

94b2300ranger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not bad gonna be a big project swapping the motor and wiring harness. Anyways what vehicle did you pull the tripminder from? I've wanted to install one on mine but the link in the tech section doesn't work, so not sure what vehicles to check at the yards for one
i pulled it from an 80's ford station wagon. problem im having is inverting the signal for the MPG signal. not really a problem, i just have to build the circuit. im a 12 volt guy. From what i read the harness from the 90-94 ranger are plug and play.

94b2300ranger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
love the color, and the shape of the mazda when there lifted! what are your plans for a transmission?

94b2300ranger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
love the color, and the shape of the mazda when there lifted! what are your plans for a transmission?
yea, i like that blue. i have a m50d that came with the motor that im going to put behind it.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yea, i like that blue. i have a m50d that came with the motor that im going to put behind it.
that blue seems to be pretty rare, ive only seen 1 explorer and 1 ranger in that color in person, and you have the first b series i can remember with it.

didnt know if you planned to use your 2.3 m50d, was gonna mention that they are different. you should look into doing the hybrid 2.3/4.0 m50d.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65845&highlight=hybrid+m50d

94b2300ranger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
that blue seems to be pretty rare, ive only seen 1 explorer and 1 ranger in that color in person, and you have the first b series i can remember with it.

didnt know if you planned to use your 2.3 m50d, was gonna mention that they are different. you should look into doing the hybrid 2.3/4.0 m50d.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65845&highlight=hybrid+m50d
I've seen a couple this color, actually parked right next to another b2300 same color one time. never planned on using the 2.3 m50d cause it doesn't fit. the guy i got the 4.0 from threw in the trans for free and i plan on using it. don't think i'm going to bother with the hybrid, just going to take a look inside and turn the gears and go through it to make sure everything functions correctly and run it as is.

94b2300ranger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm trying to figure out how i want the motor painted. I figured oil pan, timing cover, water pump and intake aluminum color. Block and heads Ford blue. i already painted the headers and Y-pipe. i just don't know what i want to paint the valve covers, i'm open to suggestions on overall color of the motor. i'm thinking flat black for the valve covers, what do you guys think?

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm trying to figure out how i want the motor painted. I figured oil pan, timing cover, water pump and intake aluminum color. Block and heads Ford blue. i already painted the headers and Y-pipe. i just don't know what i want to paint the valve covers, i'm open to suggestions on overall color of the motor. i'm thinking flat black for the valve covers, what do you guys think?
im partial to that vht cast iron color myself.... i think blackbII used it on his engine, check out his thread.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
also that aluminum color, my buddy painted his track bar, knuckles, diff cover, and something else on his front axle with it. altho it pops real well, after just 300 miles on his new gears, from just the bugs alone it looks like someone put there greasy palms all over it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals