• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Well Brought home another RBV!

redneckfordf2502002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6 4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Last night we brought home 2 trucks in hopes to make one in good shape.
The trucks are a 94 Explorer 4x4 4.0L V6 4 door XLT power everything auto trans manual hubs push button 4x4 (I will have to deal with this) great body and interior and has a tittle. Only problems with it is the wheels and tires are crown Victoria wheels that are 16s, it needs a good cleaning, and the engine is siezed:sad: OH ya and it is the best color their is White!!!:yahoo:

BUT.....

We also brought home a 92 Ranger 4x4 4.0L V6 extended cab XLT auto trans and push button 4x4 manual everything else minus it has totaled auto hubs with a totaled bed and cab and no tittle. The good thing about this one is it runs and drives!

Both we got for $1000

So....

We are going to obviously pull the ranger engine out and drop it in the Explorer and use the ranger for parts between our 84 Bronco II and the Explorer then get rid of what we can't use.
I probably will take the ranger stock wheels and paint them black then use the chrome wheel caps that are with the explorer and put them on then find some tires for it.
I will drive it until I can get my F150 going then decide what to do later.

So some questions:
What is the biggest size tires I can run without rubbing. I know on our 84 B2 with a sagging suspension we are running 235 75 R15s on no backspacing of wheels (they aren't stock wheels) and they rub a bit but that is because of the sagging (I am putting the coils, blocks, and leaf springs from the 92 ranger into the 84 B2)??

Is the speedometer gear or sensor driven in the explorer. When we flat towed it home the explorer speedometer didn't move but when I drove the Ranger around the ranch it worked?

Are the lug studs on the 92 Ranger longer then the 84 B2s (I need slightly longer studs to mount my other wheels on the B2)?

I think that is it for now.
When I get the chance I will post pics then when we get into putting the engine in I will put up a build thread.
Trav

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Nice score :icon_thumby:
Should be able to fit 31x10.50s on the Ex provided you use stock wheels and the suspension isn't sagging (30x9.50s will fit in any case).

'94 uses a speedo gear in the t-case output housing.

I think the studs should all be the same, but I won't swear to it.

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
Studs won't be all the same length, at least in the several different years/models of RBVs I've had. Most wheel studs can be changed for a different length if desired pretty easily by taking the disk off and pounding them back through (put a lug nut on near the end so you don't mess up the threads) or by taking the rear drum off and pounding them back in a spot that has enough clearance to pull them out the rear.

I don't know how much thread you have left after you put the lug nuts on the studs but I've seen it both ways, no stud sticks through the lug nut and some vehicles where the stud sticks out from the lug nut.

redneckfordf2502002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6 4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Nice score :icon_thumby:
Should be able to fit 31x10.50s on the Ex provided you use stock wheels and the suspension isn't sagging (30x9.50s will fit in any case).

'94 uses a speedo gear in the t-case output housing.

I think the studs should all be the same, but I won't swear to it.
Well I found out yesterday why the speedometer wasn't working. Drive shaft is disconnected from the rear end so it wasn't turning the trans or t-case.
I don't believe their is any spring sag. I have a set of jeep wheels that should fit will be checking soon and probably will throw those on with some nice tires.

Studs won't be all the same length, at least in the several different years/models of RBVs I've had. Most wheel studs can be changed for a different length if desired pretty easily by taking the disk off and pounding them back through (put a lug nut on near the end so you don't mess up the threads) or by taking the rear drum off and pounding them back in a spot that has enough clearance to pull them out the rear.

I don't know how much thread you have left after you put the lug nuts on the studs but I've seen it both ways, no stud sticks through the lug nut and some vehicles where the stud sticks out from the lug nut.
I knew about how to remove and install just was wondering on the lengths. Thanks though.
Last night I cleaned the explorer really good. Plan is to have the ranger stripped and explorer running by the end of this month (devoting my time after school and weekends to it).

Also found out the Explorer has 3.73 Limited slip gears! Ya baby! I hate those stupid open diffs like the B2. Funny that the explorer has a lower gear ratio then my 88 F150 (3.55 limited slip) LOL
Trav

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals