• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil Leak... Rookie Mistake?

Lpannell25

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Ok i think i figured out what i did wrong... but that comes with not being a mechanic and doing it yourself with no help at all.... Replaced both heads.... so as im putting the lower intake gasket on it says to put the rv black silicone on the strips of the gasket so i see 4 small red strips on each end where the head gasket and intake manifold will be sandwhiched. I apply it to the 4 corners essentially... Been leaking oil like a son of a bitch since i got it running... was i suppose to apply the silicone in 1 continuous bead all the way across essentially being 1 bead in the front and 1 bead in the back instead of 4 seperate places? Hope to get a quick response gonna start doing research now... feel free to laugh at this rookie mistake if it is something that simple!

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i've only taken apart my 2.9 once, to replace all the gaskets, but yes. you want one continuous bead. you're basically using the RTV to create a gasket on the front and back. i put mine lower intake on, let in dry a couple minutes, to get tacky, then hand tightened everything, let it dry 10-15 minutes, then torqued it down for good.

i'll see if i can find some pics

Lpannell25

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
damn!!! glad i got an answer just sucks i made such a stupid mistake now i gotta take it all apart again!!! was thinking i could just disconnect the fuel lines and leave the fuel rail attached right? as long as i disconnect them electronically obviously

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
just disconnect the battery and leave as much together as you can. you're gonna have to pull the upper and lower manifold for sure. the fuel rail attaches to the lower manifold IIRC, you might can just remove the upper and remove everything together on the lower. idk if you'll have enough slack in the lines to get in there though

Lpannell25

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
yeh probably just disconnect electrical going to the injectors might try and leave the gas lines connected and just move lower out of the way enough... also will hurt to reuse the valve cover gaskets they havent been on there for 100 miles even lol

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i'm sure they're fine, i dont think you'll need to remove the valve covers though, i cant remember. it's been a while since i had mine apart

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
mazda
Engine Size
2.9 for now
Transmission
Manual
yes valve covers must come off... also replace the o-ring on the dizzy while you're at it if you didn't already do so...

Lpannell25

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
just an o ring that fits snug around the distributor where it sits in its hole? and yeh the valve covers have 3 or 4 screws that go into the lower intake so removal is necessary. and now that i tore that thing down and put it back this will be a breeze so before i jump into it and fix my problem... we have the problem diagnosed now a couple of things... when i was putting this gasket in it has those to flexible places that bend to go up the heads at an angle do i need to pre bend those or what cause i had difficulty originally putting this gasket in htere... having it stay where i needed before i dropped the intake on it i ended up holding it down best i could until i got the intake as low as i could then moved my hand and prayed that it dropped into place... also silicone.... below and above the gasket or just below where it comes into contact wit hthe block and the cyulinder heads?

MJ'sBlkBII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
I have done 3 intake gaskets and have always pre bent them at the pre determined lines. I fold them up just a bit more than what matches the valley to make sure that the bottom is seated fully. Have never had a leak afterwards, so it is effective if not correct. As for the RTV, just below the gasket is all that in needed.

Lpannell25

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
wow what an idiot... i put silicone on the actual gasket where you dont need any silicone... left the middle completely blank! can you say rookie mechanic haha got it fixed yesterday no leaks or anything took it through a small little beginner trail last night and she ran fine!

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
at least it's back together. i havent driven my b2 alot since i took out the engine, so i may have some stuff like this awaiting me once i drive it a little more. cant wait to find out! lol

Lpannell25

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
never know until you get it back out there!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals