• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

trans/tcase for 302

joelsbored

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 on its way in
Transmission
Manual
I have a 94 4wd ranger that I would like to put a 302 in. I would like to use a manual transmission. I am pulling the 302 from a mustang with a T-5, what transfer case will mount to it and what would it take? Is there a better option for a transmission and transfer case to use?

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
u can do a divorced np205 off the T-5 and make it work so ive heard.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
You are almost guranteed to have to use a divorced t-case with a T-5. The Dana 24 is a really good choice, it's a little smaller and lighter than the 205 but still strong. If you are really lucky you will stumble across an advance adapter kit for the T5 but you will pay top dollar for it since it has been discontinued for about 2 years now. If you want a married style then you will need to go with a fullsize transmission and t-case such as a t18/t19, NP435, or the M5ODR2. There are a few ways to go about this.

Matt

madmike33

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm in the middle of my own 302 swap. I'm running a M5R2 from a fullsize pickup, with the stock Ranger T-case. I used an adapter from Advance adapters. The good thing about the M5R2 is you can re-use your hydraulics for the clutch, the the casting is fatter but not longer, well only by a half inch. You can keep the crossmember in the original location, so it helps you locate the motor. I had to flatten then shorten the x-member and cut a little piece out of the floor because the shifter comes in a little more forward than the stock shifter. Ofcourse I'm assuming that your truck had a M5R1 originally and if that's the case everything I just wrote is accurate. I also have a 2" body lift.

Hope this helps.

Madmike33

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals