• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

c4 trans simple questions

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

see the number 1 on the cap, does that mean that wire goes to number 1 cylinder? I know the cap is counterclockwise rotation, so im assuming the next number is a 3?

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
What is the motor out of? If it's out of a pre 82 vehicle you could have the older firing order. If its an HO motor it's 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. Y'know you can upgrade that old style cap with a Dura Spark lower housing and a new style cap with terminals instead of sockets.
Yup that wire goes to #1 and the next one goes to #3 cylinder and so on if you have the HO/351 firing order. Hedman 88400's will likely do the trick. I'm running Hedman 89500's in my 2wd setup but the passenger side header runs smack into the suspension I beam (many other people who run these headers have run into this problem but Hedman refuses to do anything about it). Early Mustang tri-y's will work very well too. If you can find 289 log manifolds they'll work too, but they are pretty restrictive.
Phil

Last edited:

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i wanna be able to fit some longtubes in there because i hear they give more power than shorties. Is this true?

how did u modify your headers to clear the I-beam red85? I like the price on those, cheapest on summitracing.com for 302 ranger swaps. Duff headers are priced good i think , $239 for black ones. May go with those.

Last edited:

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
I made a special collector with some exhaust adapters I bought at Canadian Tire. I started with a 90* bend and heated the s#!t out of it and bent it six ways from Sunday LOL. The real solution is to slice asmall section out of the collector and reweld it so it no longer smacks the I beam. Then, if you're like me, you'll want to heat the section of the collector that runs at the back of the starter and flatten it out enough to clear even the largest starter (mine is for a Bronco with a 351W). It would not hurt to make a starter heat shield out of some sheet metal and get a roll of header wrap too. I literally toasted a couple of starters before I realized that heat soak was destroying my starters. $239 is not bad for a set of headers, but if you buy the Hedmans be prepared to do a little modification.

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I made a special collector with some exhaust adapters I bought at Canadian Tire. I started with a 90* bend and heated the s#!t out of it and bent it six ways from Sunday LOL. The real solution is to slice asmall section out of the collector and reweld it so it no longer smacks the I beam. Then, if you're like me, you'll want to heat the section of the collector that runs at the back of the starter and flatten it out enough to clear even the largest starter (mine is for a Bronco with a 351W). It would not hurt to make a starter heat shield out of some sheet metal and get a roll of header wrap too. I literally toasted a couple of starters before I realized that heat soak was destroying my starters. $239 is not bad for a set of headers, but if you buy the Hedmans be prepared to do a little modification.
my motor sits a good 1-2" higher than with mustang mounts so maybe i could clear those hedmans alright

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
Have you checked out Patriot headers? They are very high quality. Nice finish and good solid welds.

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can contact Total Performance out of Michigan, they have good swap headers for the 302 or 351W. The ones for the 302 are like a tri-y header and the 351W are a longer tube with 3" outlet. I personally have used both and are pleased with them.

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
found some nice longtube headers for a 1990 fullsize bronco 5.0 Does anyone kno if these will fit? they look like they might be too big..idk tho

Last edited:

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
just wanted to pass this info along to everyone. 94-95 mustang shorty headers fit really well. Dont go with foxbody mustang headers unless u wanna modify them on the drivers side.

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
passenger header is close the the framrail so i dont kno if the exhaust shop can make exhaust for it. Looks like the frame needs to be notched alittle. Anybody run into this problem with shorties?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals