• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

just a couple more Q's before i start on the swap

acidh3r3t1c

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 stang 5.0 ranger 2.3 ranger
Transmission
Manual
I've almost got everything i need to start on my swap its currently an 88 with a dying 2.9 with a 3inch body lift and so far ive got a 302 out of a 91 mercury marquis and i found a 5speed ZF manual tranny and a NP transfer case and its going to be getting an 8.8 and dana 35 what should i look for in the 8.8 and the dana 35 would an explorer or ranger be the best and what year should i look for and does the dana 35 take very much modification to replace my dana 28 with it or is it fairly bolt in

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
The Dana 35 will bolt in to the existing brackets. You will be building driveshafts for sure. Since you will be welding I say go for the explorer 8.8 and weld new mounts on to fit the Ranger. Are you sure you have a ZF and not the M5OD-R2. You can't mistake one for the other if you have seen them but sometimes the junkyard guys don't know what they are looking at. It has to be a ZF from a I6, 302 or a 351 as well. Which NP t-case, 205 or 208? If the 205 you will need or grind part of the tailshaft housing to clear the shift rail on the 205. If you get a Ranger 8.8 and any D35 they will be the only bolt in parts of the whole project.

Matt

acidh3r3t1c

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i know it is a ZF because i pulled it my self from an f250 with a 351 i love the junk yard i go to i get really good prices i payed 600 for the tranny transfer case and engine with the trade of my sisters POS car with a blown motor that pry wasn't worth 300$ and the transfer case was out of an 80's bronco with a 4speed and a 351 and im not sure if its a 205 or a 208 and i dont mind some welding i dont weld even tho i want to learn but ive got some friends that weld for a living so i can have then do it one of them owe me a favor anyways lol so i think im gonna get it from an explorer thanks for the help its much appreciated

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
That's not too bad of a deal on a ZF. I just wanted to make sure just incase. If that bronco was stock the t-case is a 208. If it is alumunum it's a 208, cast iron it's a 205. The 205 will fit between the frame with no mods at all. The 208 is a little tighter but it will fit with some finess. I've had each in at one point in time. I settled on the 205 due to its stregnth.

Matt

acidh3r3t1c

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
its aluminum so it must be a 208 then and im not to terrible worried about breaking it cause i dont plan on doing very much in the way of performance upgrades but i do have another question if i were to go with the explorer axle swap front and rear what should i do if i want to do a suspension lift should i go with a kit and would it fit or whats the best bet

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
You can use pretty much any TTB Ranger/Explorer lift. They all work the same way. As long as you make the Explorer axle spring over like in a Ranger you will be able to use blocks in the rear if you don't get new springs. The front you will be fine with the coils, brackets and all the other parts and hardware. It will bolt in the same location as if you left the axles stock. The only recommendation is not to get a kit that uses a drop plate for the front axle. The plate will punch a hole in the D35 third member if you bottom out.

Matt

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals