• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'97 F350 lost dash and tail lights

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Was driving at night about a week ago and heard a click (like a relay going out) in the dash and the dash lights went out, found out tonight (I don't drive the thing all that often, and being summer not much at night) that the tail lights also don't work including the trailer tail lights.

Anyone have any ideas on what is going on? I didn't find any bad fuses when I looked a little and would like to get this fixed.

Also there's a battery drain somewhere, if it isn't started about every 10 days it won't start, being a diesel it is a bit harder to start than a gasser but it also has two batteries to drain... connections are clean at the batteries, one may need the end changed which is one of the next steps on that

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Main light switch is where the power comes from, Fuse #4
Dash lights also have fuse #10, but it is powered by fuse #4 when light switch is on
Both in cable fuse box

Trailer lights are done thru a relay in engine fuse box and trailer lights are powered by separate fuse, #4 in engine fuse box.
But the main light switch powers the relay to activate it

Looks like Main light switch would be where to start

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
My brother borrowed the thing last night, he looked into it and found the fuse blown (my guess is #4, but I'm roughly 2500 miles away from home as of this morning) and so far it's working... if it blows again I at least have a circuit to trace.

Thanks Ron!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals