• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 F-250 - wanted to lift it up (by around 3 in)

AtlantaRanger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hey there,
2000 Ford F-250's here! I need to increase the ride height of my truck by 2-3 in, and think of the cost-effective way to do that. You see, this is my 'workhorse', so I'm not going to invest a lot into some cool air lift suspension kit, you know... I thought of getting a set of leaf spring hangers, what will you say, folks? Any real experience of these things on yall blue oval full-size truck?
Your thoughts & ideas are appreciated!
PS - I quite often drive with the loaded box, if that matters....
Cheers!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Superduty or the 7lug F-250LD/7700 F-150 bodied truck?

If you don't pull a gooseneck and are on the cheap you could go with a bodylift. Nothing really wrong with them and it makes a tight engine bay much easier to access (I know diesel techs love them)

AtlantaRanger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yeap, it's non-HD and I do not use it for towing...
Okay, so I guess will go ahead and grab a set for myself then (https://www.carid.com/leaf-spring-hangers/), if you say that it's a good solution... Because I also checked reviews on sales pages ( i do not trust those reviews on product pages where they sell something, you know, they are all positive and fake) and people say it's not a bad idea...

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it is the torsion bar F-150 bodied truck you can also crank the torsion bars too. It will about level it out (which is less than ideal for a work truck) then you could just play with rear springs if you want to keep a rake.

Might get you around 2".

AtlantaRanger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the idea, man. Appreciate your help.

Kurt.king870s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It may be a little late, but using shackles to lift it that much might screw up your pinion angle.......I have a slightly tapered lift block in the back of my truck, and now I have vibration like crazy anytime I put any weight in the back. If I could do it over, i'd go for a straight lift block. You should be able to get lift blocks for the front and rear of your truck, and then it would be fairly easy if you ever wanted to remove it.
Not sure about anyone else, but i'v never liked body lifts since you can see under the cab and frame.......but they do have their place.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You need to get the right angle on the lift block.

The spring perch is set for the angle of a 2wd truck without the block. The factory 4wd block is set to the angle to get the pinion angle correct with however much lift it has. If you go higher yet (I wouldn't) you will need to correct it more yet for the increased space between the perch and the spring.

My Ranger is a std cab so you don't see much of the frame. It makes the truck MUCH easier to work on, I am spoiled with it. Nothing worse than going from it to a stock truck in the jy.

Kurt.king870s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
From what a friend of mine was telling me (he drives an Explorer lifted 6 inches) the pinion angle needs to stay the same, even when it's lifted because the U-joints need to have the same angle as each other, and mine are causing my vibration. But having a super cab also gives me that two piece driveshaft, and i've heard that those are bad when lifted to begin with.......I think i'm going to do a one peice swap, and maybe see what that does.......can't hurt right?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
From what a friend of mine was telling me (he drives an Explorer lifted 6 inches) the pinion angle needs to stay the same, even when it's lifted because the U-joints need to have the same angle as each other, and mine are causing my vibration. But having a super cab also gives me that two piece driveshaft, and i've heard that those are bad when lifted to begin with.......I think i'm going to do a one peice swap, and maybe see what that does.......can't hurt right?
Eventually you hit a wall where you can't get them to be the same and have it not vibrate though.

Then you have to drop the trans down and tip the pinion up to get the angles back to being close to right.

You hit said wall easier on shorter wheelbase vehicles than longer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals