• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 or 5.0?

jowen79

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I picked up a 1996 3.0 Ranger with no engine for a few hundred bucks a while back. I have a 4.0 that I was planning on putting in it, but I need to pick up a few things including trans, flywheel, and computer. I have also considered a 5.0 swap, but I have having trouble determining exactly what I need. It seems that most posts on this are for 1998 and up? Will the drive train from a 96-97 Explorer drop in fairly easily? I don't want to work on this for the next year. I'm currently driving a 3.0 that's nearing the end of its life, but I only paid $300 for it 3 years ago so no complaints. Thanks ahead for any advice or links

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
4x4 or 2wd?

Most Ex's are AWD but you can use a fullsize t-case to make it 4wd.

If yours is 2wd and unless you snag a rare 2wd 5.0 Ex you will probably need a different trans.

Otherwise aside from driveshafts you should have a lot of the stuff on the Ex to make it work.

If you need a trans for the 4.0 I would rehome it and go 5.0. :icon_thumby:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Well you can just go out and buy a stock 4.0l Ranger, which is why the 4.0l swap isn't that popular.
Same same labor and parts doing a 5.0l swap which you can't go out and buy because they were never made, which is why it is a more popular swap.

Best bet would be to sell the 4.0l engine and find a 3.0l vulcan engine and use it, needs to be complete and from a Ranger or B3000 since you don't have current engine to swap over parts from.
1995-1997 would be best match for current wiring and fuel system.

Or a V8 swap, motor/trans, computer and wiring

Last edited:

jowen79

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
4x4 or 2wd?

Most Ex's are AWD but you can use a fullsize t-case to make it 4wd.

If yours is 2wd and unless you snag a rare 2wd 5.0 Ex you will probably need a different trans.

Otherwise aside from driveshafts you should have a lot of the stuff on the Ex to make it work.

If you need a trans for the 4.0 I would rehome it and go 5.0. :icon_thumby:
It's a 4wd. I've read some about having to deal with the PATS if I get an Explorer newer than 97. Is it that big of a deal to swap the steering column? If I can't find a complete Explorer, can I just piece together the 96 Explorer components?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

willy

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
96 / 97 explorer would be the best option or a 98 motor with 97 computer works also but you have speed sensor issues if you use a 98 trans and wiring

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals