• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Odds and ends, efi stuff Options

jmkjr72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
explorer
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Odds and ends, efi stuff Options

Track this topic
Email this topic
Print this topic
Download this topic
Subscribe to this forum
Switch to: Outline
Standard
Switch to: Linear+ cee21 Jul 12 2007, 11:23 AM Post #1

Just passing by.....

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,572
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: bronco 2
Vehicle Year: 1984
2WD or 4WD: 4WD

There is a guy I am going to get the wiring and ecm off of his 91 mustang because he is going carbed. So here are some odds and ends that I have found that I don't know if I need or not. Thermactor air diverter solenoid, thermactor air bypass solenoid, vaccum storage canister (the one I have will work maybe), canister purge solenoid, barametric pressure sensor, vaccum check valve. I will be swapping into a 84 b2. Can I use the fuel pump he has? I got all of this from this site http://www.mustangforums.com/m_563238/tm.htm

Full Edit
Quick Edit
wade Jul 13 2007, 12:35 AM Post #2

Checking it out.....

Member No.: 12,466
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
Vehicle Year: 1989
2WD or 4WD: 2WD

QUOTE(cee21 @ Jul 12 2007, 12:23 PM)

There is a guy I am going to get the wiring and ecm off of his 91 mustang because he is going carbed. So here are some odds and ends that I have found that I don't know if I need or not. Thermactor air diverter solenoid, thermactor air bypass solenoid, vaccum storage canister (the one I have will work maybe), canister purge solenoid, barametric pressure sensor, vaccum check valve. I will be swapping into a 84 b2. Can I use the fuel pump he has? I got all of this from this site http://www.mustangforums.com/m_563238/tm.htm

Thermactor solenoids - depends upon what you're building and if it needs 'em to be able to pass emissions.
Vacuum Canister - will help steady out any pulsations from the vacuum signal to sensors and provide sufficient vacuum to operate climate controls without affecting other sensors.
Canister purge solenoid - Are you using a (the) charcoal canister?
BMAP - This is a must!
Vaccum check valve - You might need it. depending upon the vacuum schematic you are using to set up your vacuum system. Put it in a ziplock and keep it.

If you aren't building the engine (HIPO), the stock pump should work. If you are building the engine, you might (should) want to upgrade.
Funny, I read this post on RPS, too.

This post has been edited by wade: Jul 13 2007, 12:37 AM

Full Edit
Quick Edit
cee21 Jul 13 2007, 01:05 PM Post #3

Just passing by.....

Yeah I posted it in both places to try to get a quick response. Sometimes posts get read but not responded to, so just doubling my chances. Emissions is not a concern, so I take it that I don't need the thermactor solenoids. And I don't know what you mean by charcoal canister? I also posted this on v8-ranger.com and got a reply saying I need all of this. That is if I was needing to pass emissions right? To start with it will be stock and will be modified here and there down the road, such as, GT40 intake, TB, etc.

This post has been edited by cee21: Jul 13 2007, 01:15 PM

Full Edit
Quick Edit
wade Jul 14 2007, 01:14 AM Post #4

Checking it out.....

QUOTE(cee21 @ Jul 13 2007, 02:05 PM)

Yeah I posted it in both places to try to get a quick response. Sometimes posts get read but not responded to, so just doubling my chances. Emissions is not a concern, so I take it that I don't need the thermactor solenoids.
That would seem correct. Will you have cat(s) installed? EGR?
And I don't know what you mean by charcoal canister?
Fuel tank is vented thru a charcoal canister to head-off venting hydrocarbons into the atmosphere.
I also posted this on v8-ranger.com and got a reply saying I need all of this. That is if I was needing to pass emissions right?
Correct.
I can't tell you whether or not you'll set codes (DTC's) by their elimination though. If you have any kind of state inspection, a check engine light will usually fail you. Is it intended to be a daily driver or a quarter horse?
To start with it will be stock and will be modified here and there down the road, such as, GT40 intake, TB, etc.

This post has been edited by wade: Jul 14 2007, 01:17 AM

Full Edit
Quick Edit
cee21 Jul 14 2007, 05:54 PM Post #5

Just passing by.....

No cats, and will still have the egr. Got you on the charcoal canister. No inspections in Tennessee, it will be driven mostly on street just to joy ride in. Thanks for the help.

Full Edit
Quick Edit
cee21 Jul 17 2007, 11:03 AM Post #6

Just passing by.....

My next question is how to feed the fuel to it. In the tech article about 5.0 wiring Bob used the tank out of a fuel injected b2. Does the fuel pump need to be upgraded if I switch tanks? Or can I just put an external fuel pump on it and how would I do the return line if I did this? Lastly does the fuel lines need to be changed or just the fuel filter?

Full Edit
Quick Edit
wade Jul 29 2007, 11:51 AM Post #7

Checking it out.....

QUOTE(cee21 @ Jul 17 2007, 12:03 PM)

My next question is how to feed the fuel to it. In the tech article about 5.0 wiring Bob used the tank out of a fuel injected b2.
Does the fuel pump need to be upgraded if I switch tanks?
Just because you swap tanks? No. But, while you are there would be a good time to consider it. What knucklehead would replace a clutch plate and reuse the old throw-out bearing? If the money's there and you have the inclination - upgrade it. Should you ever decide to build the engine and upgrade HP, the fuel supply would be there to support it.
Or can I just put an external fuel pump on it and how would I do the return line if I did this? Lastly does the fuel lines need to be changed or just the fuel filter?
If you use the intank pump, you shouldn't have to mess with modifying the fuel lines. Except, perhaps right at the engine. K-I-S-S (keep it simple.)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals