• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger wont start

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
I'm busy right now but I did take the icm off and got it tested at autozone, he ran it a few times and it read good every test. I think maybe it was not getting a very good ground. It was corroded really bad and the bolts were really bad also. I did snatch one off of a 94 ranger but it isnt a ford, don't know what brand, just in case. I'm going to check the tank and go from there. I bet it is a wiring problem. I hope not but I will start checking to see if something isnt getting a signal. Thanks for the help so far.

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
The ground wire on the crank sensor was not working so I cut it off and put a crimped connector on and it got a ohm reading on the ground from a couple of different spots. It still wont start though even with starter fluid. :sad:

Well I hooked up my code reader and got 2 codes pcm fault , I think it was 513, and 543 secondary fuel system fail.Unless there is anything else to check I'm going to get a new computer. I'm not sure about the secondary fuel failure code.Any ideas out there?

Last edited:

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
Okay I replaced the computer, fuel pump relay and the coolant temp sensor. I didnt check the codes again to tired. I checked the coils and swapped them around. Did not make any difference. I did spray carb cleaner in the intake and it would barely run for a second or two. It didnt have any fuel pressure when I turned the key on or when I cranked it.It is not getting fuel so I'm starting to track that down. I am probably going to have to drop the tank, so I can check the wiring. I can see it, can feel it, just cant get it unplugged. I checked the fuel cutoff switch and it was ok. I'm guessing the wiring is the next thing to check then put 12 volts to the pump.Anything else I might be missing?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals