• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2011 Ranger Sport 4x4 Stock Suspension Replacement: no lift

herniated

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi, I have a 2011 Ranger Sport 4x4 and my suspension is worn out. The shocks are Rancho.

I don't want to make any real change to the suspension but am considering getting the pre-2007 torsion keys and Belltech shackles for a 2" body lift. Currently running stock size tires but am considering going with the largest metric tires I can fit at some point.

I would like decent shocks. Was thinking Bilstein Heavy Duty but don't really know. What kind of shocks do you recommend? 90% highway and town and 10% rough logging roads.

What specs do I need to look at? The only thing I've found it 1.38" piston diameter for both front and rear shocks. Is this correct?

What should I do about leaf springs? They seem to be worn out because my truck sags in the rear, especially loaded. Does re-arching them take care of that or should I replace them?

Thanks

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Bilstein makes excellent shocks, you can't go wrong with those. Boasts about things like piston diameter are mostly marketing though (at least in standard non-rebuildable consumer-grade shocks), what you want to look for is a monotube nitrogen gas-charged shock that is something of quality. Bilstein is definitely that.
Another you might also look at is KYB. Somewhat cheaper price, but IMO they are almost as good (and might even last longer, not sure... the Gas-A-Just shocks on mine are over 20 years old, though with only about 60K miles).

Many guys swap to Explorer springs. Ones from a 4-door should give your Ranger about 2" lift (if your current springs are sagged, you may actually see more lift. You should be able to compensate for this with the Belltech shackles though if needed).
I wouldn't suggest re-arching though... All that is really doing is taking what may be a sacked-out pair of springs and stressing them out even more by permanently deforming them. I can see a fatigue failure happening in their near future.

Oh, and just a small terminology correction:
A body lift uses spacer blocks placed above the body mount bushings to lift the body higher above the frame (what you proposed is a suspension lift, even if only minor).

Hope that helps.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals