• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 no spark

marcuspur

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i need help i have an 88 ranger with a 2.9. it was running fine no prob and one day it was idleing in my yard and just shut off no spiting or spuddering like i tund the key off and now no spark ive checked the tfi at the local auto parts store and it checked out ok and the coil has power coming out of it ive changed the hall effect in the dis. with a new one and still no luck what do yall think is wrong with it
:bawling:

Last edited:

marcuspur

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
and how do i add a pic

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Are you saying you're getting spark out of the coil?

Open up a photo bucket account - www.photobucket.com, upload your pics. Click on the share and copy and paste the

88rangerakapig

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i just had the same problem wit my 88 ranger yesterday. truck started up just fine went to back out of me driveway and it just died.. it was getting but didnt fire here the truck jumped timming.. id try looking at that to..

marcuspur

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ya im getting spark from the coil but not out of the distributor

and thanks for the pic help

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
change cap and rotor and wires if you havent done so yet and put dielectric grease on the center point where the rotor turns and on the wire ends oh yea plugs also.

marcuspur

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ill try that

here she is just sitting in my yard :(

http://
[/IMG]

jhammel85

Thats a sweet looking Ranger man...sitting still or not!

I would check spark at the plugs. If its going to the distributor and not leaving it, somethings up with it or that TFI. Mine tested fine even though it was crapping out on me. I got fed up and just replaced it. Runs like a new truck!

marcuspur

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
its still sitting and ya no spark out of the distributor so i did have the tfi tested and got a new ststus (the thing inside the dist. but i think when i get some money im goin to get a new dist. with a new tfi and see what happins

marcuspur

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
o ya and thanks bro i need to match the paint on the fenders and hood so it looks a little better

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Dude if your getting spark out of the coil but no spark to the plugs it is three things Wires, cap and rotor or plugs pull the cap and rotor and scrape all the contact points in the cap clean especially the center contact on the cap or just get a new cap and rotor if you havent I bet it is the cap got fried at least scrape the center contact and spring that touches it metal to metal and see if it fires. If you have a timing light put it on the coil wire to the dizzy with everything hooked up if you get a steady light put it on the plug wires one by one if you get no light it is either cap, rotor, wires, plugs. For it to just die like that normally if it was the module or hall sensor it will just run bad. Your gonna need new tune up parts anyway buy the cheap stuff first and see what happens. If you dont know how old the wires are just change them then you know.

DisturbedMXer8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah dude, beautiful truck. What kind of lift and wheels/tires do you have on that thing, if you don't mind my asking? I'd love my ranger to look like that lifted.

marcuspur

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i bought it like it is but the lift is made by superlift i beleve 6" and a 3" body lift, the tires are Nitto Terra Grappler and i was told the rims are from an 09 ford ranger 17" with 2" or 1 1/2" spacers
is its my yard ornament untill i get it running

marcuspur

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey i got a test light and im getting power to my coil but when i crank it the test light dont blink thats not good right?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
You will need to troubleshoot the ignition system. If you have little knowledge of wiring or how to use a multimeter a good option is to replace parts with known good parts such as dizzy and computer. That way you can possibly find the problem without spending alot of money needlessly. When you check for power to the coil do you get power to both the pos and neg terminals then take a spark plug and put it on the coil wire from the dizzy and set it on ground with the key on take a jumper wire and jump from the neg terminal on the coil to ground touch it quickly a few times and the plug should fire bright blue each time if so the coil is good. put a good dizzy and computer in it and see if it runs if not you have a wiring issue. Buying new parts when you dont know for sure what the problem is is fine as long as you have the money and shelf space. It might be a ground issue if you havent yet take all the grounds apart you can find and sand them metal to metal especially the one to the coil. Have you tried pulling the codes and adding a ground from the engine to the coil base never hurts either.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals