• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need some help- CB

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i just picked up a new cb its a cobra 19 ultra III, any wayz i have the power and nagetive wires going to my batt.. when i have it on and truck running i get a lot of road noise comeing through the cb, is it my ground? AND I GOT A Swr mete when i tryed to tune the cb, when i mic it its above 3, dont you want it at 1.5 on the meter. thanks mike

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know much about cb's specifically but it sounds like a grounding issue. Run the - to the frame instead and se if that helps, it should I think.....

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't know much about cb's specifically but it sounds like a grounding issue. Run the - to the frame instead and se if that helps, it should I think.....
If it is going to the battery it shouldn't be able to get much cleaner of a ground anywhere else... given the connection itself is good. You might play with the routing of the wiring, it might be close to another electrical component and picking the interferance from that.

The location of your antennea on your truck has a lot to do with tuning, as well as the antennea itself. The best place bar none is the center of the roof, so the the antennea can use the roof sort of like a satellite dish.

With my Firestick II there is a knob on the end of the antenea you play with the adjust the SWR readings, on some other styles you cut the end of the antenea off. I need to pick up a SWR meter and get mine dialed in, I think my adjuster is just screwed all the way in. It works ok at the moment since all I do is listen to it.

Brandon12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/4.0
Transmission
Manual
You want your SWR as low as you can get it. And If you want your cb to work really good invest in a good antenna. My dad and brother both run these http://www.wilsonantenna.com/w5000.htm and they are awsome.

flyingbrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks guys, im just going to take it to a cb shop. im sick of #ucking with it.

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Never had an issue with engine noise. I used to get some alt noise, but I just tured the squelch up a touch.

as to the SWR...get it as low as you can. It just depends on the antenna. On my short little through the glass CB antenna the closest I can get it is 1.7 on 20, and 2.4 on 1 and 40. On my 5/8 wave 2 meter antenna, I have it at 1.1:1. Supposedly it is dual band, but my meter won't tune higher than 150Mhz, so 2 meters is the highest for me. It will go down as low as the 160 meter band though...now that would be fun to try on the truck....how big of a loading coil can I make? :icon_surprised:

I can honestly say though, that I think my CB will be coming out of the truck. Since I got my Ham License I don't use it anymore.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals