• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4R70W w/5.0 into a 1987 Supercab 4x4

tx_pwp5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4 inches
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
More auto shenanagans on instagram @waterloocustomworks
Hey guys,

Trans took a dump in my 87 2.9 supercab 4x4 and I'm sick of dealing with the ignition/heat issues so I picked up a 2wd 96 explorer 5.0 with the 4R70W yesterday. I wanted to find an AWD but the timing didn't work out and I got a helluva deal on the one I got.

I looked all through the tech articles and there is tons of info on the 5.0 to later model swaps, but the articles say "this is assuming you already have your transmission installed".

Can anyone point me in the direction of info/how to for installing the 4R70W with the correct adapter so I can utilize my existing transfer case into my 1st gen truck? Everything I saw was for Mitsubishi manuals and C4s/C5s which I thought were older transmissions and not 4R70Ws.

Thanks!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Unfortunately you need the 4WD version of the 4R70W to use the BW1350/54(Ranger transfercase) adapter plate, never tried it but have seen it advertised for sale.

2WD automatics are not like 2WD manuals so it's not a matter of swapping tail shafts and housings

Advanced adapters may have something but not sure they make them any more, i.e. 2WD to 4WD adapters, and they would be for the larger transfer cases, not 1350/54's

IMO best bet would be to find a 4WD 4R70W from a 5.0l truck or explorer, and transfer case as well, the 1350/54 wasn't built for the higher torque of V8 engines
Has to be 4R70W because thats what Explorer engine computer can operate

Last edited:

tx_pwp5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4 inches
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
More auto shenanagans on instagram @waterloocustomworks
Unfortunately you need the 4WD version of the 4R70W to use the BW1350/54(Ranger transfercase) adapter plate, never tried it but have seen it advertised for sale.

2WD automatics are not like 2WD manuals so it's not a matter of swapping tail shafts and housings

Advanced adapters may have something but not sure they make them any more, i.e. 2WD to 4WD adapters, and they would be for the larger transfer cases, not 1350/54's

IMO best bet would be to find a 4WD 4R70W from a 5.0l truck or explorer, and transfer case as well, the 1350/54 wasn't built for the higher torque of V8 engines
Has to be 4R70W because thats what Explorer engine computer can operate
Thanks for the info! This will be fun to pitch to the wife. The search is on!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
By the time you get done buying adaptors and/or plates you could probably just buy a fullsize t-case that is stronger anyway and just be done with it.

My fixed output NP-208 out of a Bronco was $150 with the shift linkage. :dntknw:

That said with me being rather polite my 1350 has been fine with a 302 for almost 6 years. Tiny u-joints and all. :D

Bummer on the trans, pretty much all we have up here is AWD 5.0 Explorers. Might be able to use a divorced t-case?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You may be able to work a trade as well

People here and at other Ranger forums are often looking at doing V8 conversion, many of them 2WD, and they can only find AWD Explorers, lol, so...........trade is looking good

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I feel for you, My Ranger has been up on jack-stands since before thanksgiving

My 10 year old Clutch died and it has been inconvenient getting it back together what with the cold weather and all...

So I needed something to drive until the nasty winter weather goes away...

So I was doing some Beater car shopping on facebook looking for a Ranger or Explorer when this 1996 5.0 AWD Explorer turned up... there were a flock of low-balling assholes trying to get it for less than the $500 asking price, I took one look at the ad and told the seller I'd pay the asking price if they'd meet me at the local notary that afternoon....

this Explorer has confirmed my desire to build an AWD Ranger but has also altered my thoughts on a V8... but has done little about my dislike of automatic transmissions....

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals