• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 4x4 Supercab to 1996 5.0 Swap

tx_pwp5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4 inches
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
More auto shenanagans on instagram @waterloocustomworks
I know there are tons of V8 swaps and tech articles, but I can't seem to find much on swapping a 1996 gt40 5.0 with AC into a 1st gen supercab. Lots of older 302s and a few people having trouble with 98+ PATS systems, but not this swap.

I've been saying as soon as my trans gave out I would do the 5.0 swap, and today is the day. Problem is, this is my daily driver and I need to figure out another short term commuter quick. I found a 96 (non PATS) 2wd 5.0 explorer with working ac and 136K miles for 1000 bucks. I plan on running the advanced adapter to keep my existing T case. I'll drive the explorer around for a few days while I'm waiting on parts to be delivered.

Has anyone done the pre pats 5.0 explorer, trans & rear end into the 1st gen 4x4 supercabs that can give me an idea any hurdles I'll run into? I'm going to have to drop this off at a shop so that's a whole different animal I've got to figure out fairly quick.

I've already looked into the adapters and all that stuff from the tech articles and have part numbers for those, but I'd like to find out how much work is involved and most likely, what it's going to cost to have a shop do swap and how long it will take them.

Unfortunately I have to make a decision on this fairly quickly, since I need to get another commuter like, tomorrow. I'm getting my wife a new car anyway so I'll use our old Tahoe while the explorer and the ranger are in the shop. I'm hoping to stay under 5K in labor and use everything we can from the explorer, then scrap/sell what's left. I'm estimating another 1500 for adapters, motor mounts misc parts needed for the swap.

Right now I have a 2.9 auto 4x4 with a one piece drive shaft swap, 4 in Tough Country lift, explorer/ranger rear leafs and 31s.

Is this realistic?

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure I'm missing a ton.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals