• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Electric fuel pumps

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
No room for a mechanical pump on my build. looking for info on what you guys have done/advice on a dual tank build.

I am thinking of 2 mr gasket micro pumps -

( https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_pumps_regulators_and_filters/fuel_pumps/carbureted_fuel_pumps/carbureted_electric_fuel_pumps/parts/12S )

1 for each tank wired to a set of relays that will be controlled from the original cab switch that is on the dash.
(1 for each tank) I have one of these pumps that fuels my 2.8 pinto and works great there. Plumbed 12 inches from the tank.

Do you guys run a single pump near the carb? or closer to the tanks?

thanks for any input and ideas.

pics?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Electric pump in the frame rail should be fine

May want to use a Canister type fuel filter between tank switch and fuel pump then inline filter at the carb

The canister filter helps hold prime at the pump to get siphon going again in the gas tank.
And an extra filter never hurts :)

Electric pumps do add a bit of danger, because they will just keep on pumping out fuel as long as they have power.
In the early days, pre-computer control and also still used on static engines, a relay is used to power fuel pump.
The GROUND that turned on the relay was an oil pressure switch, ON above 6psi.

You can still have a switch on the dash that sends power to the relay, but the fuel pump won't actually come on until engine starts.
And electric fuel pump power will be cut if engine stops, accident or roll over

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
thanks ron...

I am guessing you mean just one large pump on the frame and not 2 separate pumps. one per tank?

On my pinto build i have the pump wired to a on off switch that goes to an enertia switch i took from a parts ranger, then down to the pump.

was figuring something of the same for the ranger, switch on then what tank is a signal to that pump.... etc...

cheers

Actually i never considered wiring it inn from the ignition switch... might look into that also. thanks

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would just do one pump and use the stock plumbing for the two tanks.

I have mine on a inertia kill switch and a toggle switch so I can kill it in the cab if need be.

I have had a Mr Gasket 12S (or 21S, can't remember) for 6 years with no complaints.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
electric pump placement??

With my frame being boxed, I am running into placement issues for the electric pump I picked up last week.

Any insight from you guys if this area will work? i am thinking of building a shielding box for extra protection if I place it here. It is a 50 GPH pump that will be closer to the carb than the tanks. Anyone see any issues arising having it here? thanks

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Any fuel system parts outside of the frame rails can be a safety issue, your fuel lines would also need to come out to the outside as well

No place to put it inside the rails back by the tank?

Yes, for sure build a sturdy cover for it and fuel lines

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
hi ron, thanks for the thoughts...

being a dual tank, and with the frame boxed, in front of the front tank is pretty tight for room and getting bolts into the boxed frame will be a nightmare....

Things I didn't consider when the frame was bare and all these things could have easily been addressed.... fabricated into the frame before welded tight.

As for the fuel lines I am not afraid to go to a hose shop and get them to make/supply tough a nails lines that should be able to take a rock bouncing into it.

Besides the obvious line prob, you see any other issues being in that position?

thanks

The 2 green caps are for the wires... the in and outs are on top sides of the pump.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals