• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

high idle

werewolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 & 1999 & 1
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0&3.0&2.9&351c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
take life day by day
This is crazy,i went out back to start and run the old 87 ranger. I fired it up outside temp was around 98%. it started right up idled up to about 1200rpm, i gave it a little throttle and idle went up to 1500 and stayed there. i was going to kill it and check throttle cable, but when i pushed down the clutch and put it in gear the idle dropped down to about 800 rpm. Why would clutch or manual trans. have to do with the idle. truck is 87 4x4 2.9 manual trans.:dunno:

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Well, that didn't work. Let's try something else!
I think in this case it was a coincidence or that moving the clutch moved something in the engine bay. See if you can replicated it. Otherwise, I don't think they are related.

werewolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 & 1999 & 1
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0&3.0&2.9&351c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
take life day by day
Thanks for the reply. I did as you said i went out to the truck yesterday. it was another hot day outside, started it up the idle went up to 1500 rpm let it run like that for about a 60 sec or so. Stayed the same high idle but as soon as i put the trans. In first gear the rpm dropped to 800. and stayed there, i could take it out of gear or go to rev. 800 rpm. the ecm doesn't have anything to do with a manual trans. does it. Or if someone be for me put in the wrong ecm.:icon_confused:

Grenade

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Unless your clutch isn't fully disengaging, putting a drag on the engine once you put it in gear?

Does it make a noise, or is it hard to put into gear?

werewolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 & 1999 & 1
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0&3.0&2.9&351c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
take life day by day
Idle

Yeah the truck drives fine and shift good. It has no load on engine and you just put it in gear that one time and idle stays down. I'm not sure how long at has to set and what ever resets back to high idle. it's one of those crazy deals. I wish i new how i would take a short video if it and post. not to good doing that kind of stuff.:icon_confused:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals