• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ever been so aggravated you wanted to bust some glass?

87fiveoranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So I just took my c4 transmission out of my regular cab 87 ranger with a 302 lastnight. As I started taking it out I noticed I was going to have some problems with the bell housing clearing the headers I have the 69 tri-y mustang headers (long tubes). After taking the passenger side loose I said okay no problem the trans will slide out like a glove, NO absolutely not. I have to pry and pull and everything else just to get the transmission out with it also hitting the little hump that's molded into the body and the little lip that hold the body together right behind the bell bolts. Is there anyway that y'all guys might know that would help me get my trans back in any easier when I go back with it. I'll get some pictures tomorrow so y'all will have a better understanding. Please help before I burn a ranger :(

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So I just took my c4 transmission out of my regular cab 87 ranger with a 302 lastnight. As I started taking it out I noticed I was going to have some problems with the bell housing clearing the headers I have the 69 tri-y mustang headers (long tubes). After taking the passenger side loose I said okay no problem the trans will slide out like a glove, NO absolutely not. I have to pry and pull and everything else just to get the transmission out with it also hitting the little hump that's molded into the body and the little lip that hold the body together right behind the bell bolts. Is there anyway that y'all guys might know that would help me get my trans back in any easier when I go back with it. I'll get some pictures tomorrow so y'all will have a better understanding. Please help before I burn a ranger :(
Often, the pinch weld between the floorpan and firewall is reshaped to free up some space. (fold the flap away from the firewall after cutting a couple slots in the upper corners).

You might find a BFH is your friend in adding clearance.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Its 6 bolts to unbolt the cab and temporarily lift the cab 3-4" without undoing any of the harness or brake lines. It also goes along with owning full length headers, the need to remove them when pulling the trans. V8 rangers are not factory equipped and therefore one solution cannot fix similar issues/problems. With a little patience, you'll get it done :icon_thumby:

SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals