• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 Ranger tail/brake light backfeeding

wwracer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
94 ranger 4X4 4.0L I have a backfeeding problem, push on my brakes and the dash,marker lights illuminate. Also cant use my cruise control with my H/lights on, (wont engage). It used to be an intermittent problem, but it's a constant one now. Removed all the T/light bulbs, filaments look good, factory trailer wiring looks good. Any ideas ? I cant seem to find the ground point for the lighting harness, hoping a poor ground is the culprit...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Bad ground is the problem with the lights, tail lights are using the dash light bulbs for the ground.

Diagram here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/files/Diagram_turn_stop_hazard.JPG

But not that complicated, Ford used Black wires for Ground at the rear and they should be grounded to the frame rail, so either find those and clean them up or add new ground for the black wires.

I found a '94 diagram, all the tail lights use ONE ground point on the frame, G104, so look for that
I posted diagram here: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162630

There also should be a Ground Strap in the engine bay for the Frame, often on/near engine mount, if you can't find one ADD one, just engine to frame.

There should also be a Ground strap on the back of the drivers side head that goes to Firewall, thats the main ground for the cab electrics, make sure it is there, often left off after engine work, and make sure it's connections are clean and tight.

Vehicle frames and body parts are painted first then bolted together, so there is no reliable grounding between these parts, and engine and trans sit on rubber mounts, so no reliable ground there either.
If in doubt ground it out, can't have one too many grounds, but can have one too few, lol.

Last edited:

wwracer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks Ron, I'll look into it in the next few days. My shops full of snowmacines right now, and the floors a little soggy. Looks like I to need to find ground point G104, Ive checked and cleaned the radiator support and engine grounds, plus I ordered the proper ground cable for the truck instead of the multitude of eyelets attached to the repair post POS I have on it .....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals