• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

After A 4 year Hiatus.... I'm about to be back, and have questions

dasfinc

October 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Lots of updates:

Donor being scrapped-

Incase anyone is curious how thick an explorer frame is:

Dat Rear end.... On the ground next to the explorer shell:

And the gutted interior:

Well, since the Explorer is already broken down I've placed my first order from Rock Auto;

About $350 in manual conversion parts (everything except the pedal assembly and the transmission itself, and $250 in parts to 'freshen' the motor up. Went pretty strictly with Rubber gaskets over cork so there is some extra cost there, but that is normally well worth it.

Explorer bumper is mocked up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wzvSGdW5Zs

Engine is hanging out on the stand ready for fresh gaskets!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEUYv7RCz3c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vtYqG7zgmo

"Hello Darkness, My Old Friend"

5 years ago to the day, I parted out my old truck, it couldn't be more fitting that today I cracked into my new truck to remove its old dead power plant:

Pre-Runner stance from last night after pulling the dead mill out:

Got the garage a bit tidied today, really under the weather though so all I managed to get done was get the seats our, get the inside cleaned up a bit, and then replaced the rear glass with the Slider Pane the PO gave me.

Sold the solid rear pane, and the 3.0 radiator today and recouped $120 back out of the purchase price of the Ranger. I also have a buyer lined up for the wheels for $150 once I pull them off the truck also!

Once the seats and wheels go the shell will have paid for itself and I'll still have a transmission and rear end to sell!

So many parts!!!

Got some good junkyard swag today;

Clutch pedal assembly, shift boot, a super rare explorer sport center console "bag", and two sport clusters!

Got the engine broken down to the short block, going to start dropping things off to get cleaned tomorrow.

Ow, My wallet.......

Conor Knoxx

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
that's some pretty awesome stuff Dasfinc!
One thing (of many lol) I'm curious about, is why the use of the Ranger clutch cylinders, instead of the F150 Clutch master and slave setup?

dasfinc

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
that's some pretty awesome stuff Dasfinc!
One thing (of many lol) I'm curious about, is why the use of the Ranger clutch cylinders, instead of the F150 Clutch master and slave setup?
The slave cylinder attaches to the clutch pedal assembly (so that has to be ranger/explorer), and they are sold together as a kit.

The master I think is actually the same exact part number, this was all info pulled from a V8 explorer guy that did this swap a few years back.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The slave cylinder attaches to the clutch pedal assembly (so that has to be ranger/explorer), and they are sold together as a kit.

The master I think is actually the same exact part number, this was all info pulled from a V8 explorer guy that did this swap a few years back.
CLOSE.

Here's the difference.

the ranger master cylinder bolts to the firewall. in line with the clutch pedal. and has the reservoir remotely mounted.

the f150 has the clutch master cylinder, right by where the gas pedal is. and using a equalizer bar setup to activate the clutch master cylinder. so it wont work in a ranger.

the slave cylinders are the same size for ranger/f150 with the hose end being the difference.

dasfinc

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
CLOSE.

Here's the difference.

the ranger master cylinder bolts to the firewall. in line with the clutch pedal. and has the reservoir remotely mounted.

the f150 has the clutch master cylinder, right by where the gas pedal is. and using a equalizer bar setup to activate the clutch master cylinder. so it wont work in a ranger.

the slave cylinders are the same size for ranger/f150 with the hose end being the difference.
Cool beans, thanks for clarifying! I just bought all the parts based on the documentation I read :D

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Cool beans, thanks for clarifying! I just bought all the parts based on the documentation I read :D
No problem :icon_thumby: i did 3 small block ford swaps in my 90 ranger. all using the m5r2 transmission from a 96 f150. so i learned alot of differences between each swap. just waiting to finish my 88 ranger up so i can finally complete my 90.

your swap looks great though.

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
How is the progress?

First time logged in here since August of 2014!

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dan, you're going to need the '97' F150 master, not the '96'. Both same size but mount different. '96' bolts to firewall and '97' mounts to clutch petal bracket just like your Ranger. Jeff Brown (in his long write-up) shows how to modify clutch lever if needed to get full stroke. Same internal slave.
Dave - your old green truck just turned 180K.

dasfinc

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Dan, you're going to need the '97' F150 master, not the '96'. Both same size but mount different. '96' bolts to firewall and '97' mounts to clutch petal bracket just like your Ranger. Jeff Brown (in his long write-up) shows how to modify clutch lever if needed to get full stroke. Same internal slave.
Dave - your old green truck just turned 180K.
Hrrrrm, I bought whatever was in that long write-up; hopefully I have everything I need, if not I'll double check part #'s and order the 97 :(.

I honestly miss the green truck, was a reliable little monster. Could have used a spare truck these past few weeks, I'll be picking up a new one probably later this year for home owner duty.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals