• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Size of the Nut That Holds Fan Clutch On? Torque Sets on Tensioner & Idler Pulley???

lvwill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
265/65/17
Yes usually.. I've had to take the water pump off with the fan still attached as well and it's no fun.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yes usually.. I've had to take the water pump off with the fan still attached as well and it's no fun.
Once I accepted the inevitability of having to remove the fan and water pump as one unit I took the radiator out since it was only two more bolts at that point. It opened up a lot of space to work and I was able to stack every 1/4 extension I had and work with my ratchet outside the grille.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It's surprising [ ok maybe not ] how easy swapping a pump is without the rad and grill in the way.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Once I accepted the inevitability of having to remove the fan and water pump as one unit I took the radiator out since it was only two more bolts at that point. It opened up a lot of space to work and I was able to stack every 1/4 extension I had and work with my ratchet outside the grille.
That’s a great idea. If I end up having to change out the pump, it’s the way I’ll choose to go. Planning to flush the system and change the coolant & thermo at some point anyway. :icon_thumby:

PS - Cool tool.

Last edited:

fyre82

Firefighter
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/4.0
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
9" on the 2000, 6" on the '88
Tire Size
265/75/16, 31x10.50x15
My credo
The memories of a man in his old age are the deeds of a man in his prime
There is another tool kit that has the wrenches for removing the fan clutch, holds both clutch nut and pulley bolts. I found one at Auto Zone, it was $100 up front for the rental but it worked finally with a couple of breaker bars. There are some utube vids on how to remove the clutch, although a couple of the techniques are not what I'd use in my garage.
Good luck, they can be a b*%$!.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
There is another tool kit that has the wrenches for removing the fan clutch, holds both clutch nut and pulley bolts. I found one at Auto Zone, it was $100 up front for the rental but it worked finally with a couple of breaker bars. There are some utube vids on how to remove the clutch, although a couple of the techniques are not what I'd use in my garage.
I have that tool too. That's the one I was rounding corners with. The pnuematic one won't take corners off the nut if you use the right size end.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, I tried that one. The closest fit for the clutch nut was a 36 mm wrench end, but it’s not a perfectly tight fit and the wrenches are, by design, so narrow that they don’t provide enough grabbing surface to avoid rounding the nut castellations. I’ve been spraying the nut with PB Blaster a few times a week and lightly tapping on the sides of it with a hammer, in the hopes that eventually, it may break up enough of the rust for me to get it off without having to remove the water pump.

To that end, I bought this wrench to use on the nut: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Chrome-Vanadium-Steel-Adjustable-Wrench/50029432

I like the fact that the design of the handle allows one to slip a pipe onto it for extra leverage. BUT, it was expensive and I don’t know if there’s enough clearance for it to fit on the nut, so I’m keeping it in the original packaging in case I have to return it. The fan shroud is history and the fan blade is pretty busted up (which is why I bought new ones in the first place). I might be able to gain some more room in there by cutting some of the fan blades with my reciprocating saw, but then if the nut still doesn’t come off, I’m kind of boned. Decisions, decisions...:dunno:

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Yeah, I tried that one. The closest fit for the clutch nut was a 36 mm wrench end, but it’s not a perfectly tight fit and the wrenches are, by design, so narrow that they don’t provide enough grabbing surface to avoid rounding the nut castellations. I’ve been spraying the nut with PB Blaster a few times a week and lightly tapping on the sides of it with a hammer, in the hopes that eventually, it may break up enough of the rust for me to get it off without having to remove the water pump.

To that end, I bought this wrench to use on the nut: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Chrome-Vanadium-Steel-Adjustable-Wrench/50029432

I like the fact that the design of the handle allows one to slip a pipe onto it for extra leverage. BUT, it was expensive and I don’t know if there’s enough clearance for it to fit on the nut, so I’m keeping it in the original packaging in case I have to return it. The fan shroud is history and the fan blade is pretty busted up (which is why I bought new ones in the first place). I might be able to gain some more room in there by cutting some of the fan blades with my reciprocating saw, but then if the nut still doesn’t come off, I’m kind of boned. Decisions, decisions...:dunno:
When I first got my automatic Ranger I had the heavy duty fan clutch installed I love! it it sounds like a militaryJeep when it starts out cold! I'm not going to try and switch it to the truck I just got! But I most likely will get another Heavy Duty clutch for the fan on this truck

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals