• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

NH laws

NHmike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Going 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Anyone here from NH and/or familar with the laws regaurding suspension? I've seen some info regarding laws against altered frame (step notch), but is there away around this? For exampe is there a way to register the truck as a custom, or hot rod? I found this :

PART Saf-C 3202 DEFINITIONS
Saf-C 3202.04 “Homemade vehicle” means a vehicle made from various parts of other vehicles so that the serial number of the body frame does not reflect the vehicle’s identity. The term includes “composite vehicle”, “reconstructed vehicle” and “kit car”.

Saf-C 3244.14 Vehicle Body or Chassis.
(b) Welded frames shall be permitted as long as any joints have the equivalent strength of the original frame and the alignment of chassis parts is not affected.
(c) Lap joint welds shall be permitted as long as the joints have the equivalent strength of the original frame.

Refering to the definiton of “Homemade vehicle means a vehicle made from various parts of other vehicles so that the serial number of the body frame does not reflect the vehicle’s identity". Does that mean if I shave the tail lights do something custom wouldnt that change the vehicles identity. Also "various parts" could include an upgrade to an 8.8 and a 302?

any insight would be great. thanks

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what that means is more or less, if you took a bronco with a 300 L6 and put a ranger body on that frame and drivetrain (like one of our members did) you would register that vehicle like that, because it's technically not a ranger OR a bronco...

your tail lights won't change the identity of your ranger, it's still a ranger... it's mostly looking for vehicles that don't technically fall under any category, if you look up the "gt12" build, in my opinion, that car doesn't even fit the bill, even though virtually everything on the truck is custom, or has been reworked... it's still the vehicle that GWAII started with

however, this car, which is a home made, garage built rendition of the 1995 chrysler atlantis concept, but it is actually on a 90's ford taurus "frame"

(this car is local to me, and BEAUTIFUL in person, made by a 60+year old woman, and her husband in their home garage)

or someone who literally were to start from scratch with c channel to make the frame, and sheet metal to make the body... that counts as a home built... it all comes down to if the vin would really fit on a vehicle or not...

Last edited:

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
If I were you, I'd give the DMV in Concord a call or if you're close enough, a visit.

KARMAN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
what that means is more or less, if you took a bronco with a 300 L6 and put a ranger body on that frame and drivetrain (like one of our members did) you would register that vehicle like that, because it's technically not a ranger OR a bronco...

your tail lights won't change the identity of your ranger, it's still a ranger... it's mostly looking for vehicles that don't technically fall under any category, if you look up the "gt12" build, in my opinion, that car doesn't even fit the bill, even though virtually everything on the truck is custom, or has been reworked... it's still the vehicle that GWAII started with

however, this car, which is a home made, garage built rendition of the 1995 chrysler atlantis concept, but it is actually on a 90's ford taurus "frame"

or someone who literally were to start from scratch with c channel to make the frame, and sheet metal to make the body... that counts as a home built... it all comes down to if the vin would really fit on a vehicle or not...
This would be a correct interpretation of the law.
Also, adding a 302 or any rear end will Not be a homemade.
You cannot register it in NH as a Hot Rod no matter what (older cars chassis only).
If you put a Mustang body on a Ranger chassis, it might be a homemade.
I don't think you will have a problem with a properly re-enforced notched frame.
Bumper height can be a problem with a lift though, without a lower extension.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
i guess youd have to be inspected?

NHmike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Going 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Thanks fella's. Will have to call DMV for clarification.

However I'm still stuck on this paragragh:

PART Saf-C 3202 DEFINITIONS
Saf-C 3202.04 “Homemade vehicle” means a vehicle made from various parts of other vehicles so that the serial number of the body frame does not reflect the vehicle’s identity. The term includes “composite vehicle”, “reconstructed vehicle” and “kit car”.

Particularly the part that states about the serial number on the frame does not reflect the vehicles identity. Wouldn't a custom made frame out of 2x3 work?

Thanks again. :icon_cheers:

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you were to make your own frame, it COULD classify as a homemade, but i personally wouldn't... if you do a little modification on the original frame, that is NOT what they are looking for, you're fine, though you might have to get it inspected if you want to follow the law to a T... personally, i would just do it and call it a day

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals