• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Which 302 Is The Best?

ljones

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm looking for a 302 for my 87 ranger. Is there any major difference through the years? I want to run a carb setup. Will one from the 70s get way worse mpg than the 80s or 90s?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
If your looking for economy either the autolite 2 barrel or holly 2 barrel would probably be just fine on a stock motor and still have plenty of power. I would imagine fuel injected would net a little better in fuel economy. The stock 302 was pretty much the same for quite a few years I believe in the mid 80s everything changed to FI. The guys here will have alot more input than I.

ljones

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I found a 1998 explorer 5.0. Will it still have a spot to put a distributor?

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yep, the Camshaft Position Sensor sits in the same spot as the distributor.

But, if you run the Expo cam, I've read of issues with the distributor drive gear needing to be tougher than those used on earlier flat tappet cams A standard distributor/oil pump drive gear might not be up to snuff for the later cams. (think I've got that right)

Anyway, I'm no SBF expert, but I'm not sure there IS a "best" 302. The later HO 5.0's from the Mustangs and Lincoln Mk VII's have good cams, forged cranks, rods and pistons but only iffy heads. The GT40 heads from the Cobras (and Explorers) are far better and the GTP heads from the late Explorers are likely the best Ford ever put on the block. Through the years there are some great pieces but I don't think all the best pieces were every put together in one place at the same time. Probably the "best" package was the Cobra HO 5.0

Last edited:

ljones

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the help!

I'm really interested in this explorer motor I found because it comes with the full front accessory drive with all the accessories on it. This motor will get freshened up , a healthy cam, carb/intake, and maybe aluminum heads before it goes in the ranger.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals