• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

EFI retard...

brentmc

Reaction score
I don't know a lot about efi so, I'm here looking for answers from the ones that have done it. I've searched the forums and the Internet, all I got was conflicting information (search engine keeps pulling the same info).

What I have is a 94 Ranger converted from 4.0 to 351w (carb'd). I just picked up a compete truck efi system from a 89 f250 that's a speed density setup. I want to convert it to a maf system. I took the ecu, distributor, both upper and lower manifold, the engine harness and fuel injectors with harness and rails.

What are the years of mustang do I need to look for to get it over to a maf or would it be better to find a 5.0 explorer? I just mostly want a plug and play setup. I know the truck upper have clearance issues. (Thinking about building a lunch box upper for better clearance) I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I'm not looking to make crazy power or spinning it much above 4k. I'm just wanting to get the mpg that I can

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The Speed Density system will work just fine on stock motor, MAF allows for changes in engine dynamics, like larger cams.

Good video here on the conversion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnnTgXkHU9Q

EEEK means EEC-IV, the computers(PCMs) used prior to the 1995 model year.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Does it have the TFI ignition? You need the proper computer and harness for both the engine/tranny combo and splice the wires accordingly to the chassis wiring.

brentmc

Reaction score
Well I do have a mild built engine 10:1 compression with a 280/290 cam, I don't recall the full cam specs. I believe it is the tfi ignition (everything came from one vehicle). It has a large vertical electrical connector for the engine harness to plug into it. I figured for 100 bucks I didn't get hurt since I got the serpentine setup with alt, ps, and ac idler pulley at the same time. I figured that would fit nicely 67 Bronco.

brentmc

Reaction score
Wow, that was a well made video... thank you very much for the link. I don't think I need to spice in wires to the ecm since the ranger was originally maf. But I do think I'll need propper engine harness with the right hard shell connectors. My biggest concern is the ecm tho because the 5.8 has a different firing order from the 5.0 some say it matters some dont. I've been to my local jy and they didn't have any 95/96 f150/bronco 5.8 from what I gathered some of them had maf from the factory and thats the ecm I've found that most have said I need.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
First, stick with 1994 or earlier computer, EEC-IV, 60 pin
'95 and up will require more changes, it will be the EEC-V with 104 pins('94 Ranger harness won't work)

Your Ranger wiring harness(EEC-IV) will only have 6 injector wires, maybe only 2 if it was Batch fire.

Ford distributor system will be TFI, firing order is set by spark plug wires on cap.

But injector firing order is set by PCM, if you use a 5.0l PCM then you would need to change the injector firing order to match 5.8l.

5.0l
1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

5.8l
1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8

So injector wires 3, 7, 5, 4 would have to be changed/swapped

5.8l PCM would have correct injector firing order

But in any case you would still need to add the 2 or 6 injector wires for new V8 PCM

Last edited:

brentmc

Reaction score
So will the 5.0 ecu drive the injectors/manage the fuel air ratio without issues? Plus I thought the 94/95 California emissions 5.8 from f150 and FSB's had the eec-IV ecu. Then in 96 ford went to the OBD-II system. So if it's still the eec-IV I should be able to use my stock ecu connector and just add/repin the wires I need then unless I'm mistaking? Like I said I'm a retard at efi (I guess that's the problem being an old school diesel mechanic toooo many wires to make it run) but I do want to understand it better.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, 95/96 were the change over years, so it could have either, just look at the ECM, it will have EEC-IV or EEC-V on the label.
And obviously 60 or 104 pin connectors are a dead give away.

Calif emissions ECU will need an EGR system

Last edited:

brentmc

Reaction score
Well I guess I'll be going for 5.0 mustang stuff to finish it off. Thank you for all the great info!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals