• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Starting question

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys,

So the other day I was driving and noticed my battery light was on. I took my truck to autozone to run an alternator test. My alternator is bad so I replaced it. Light goes away and I go on my marry way. Well about a day later my truck has trouble starting. It takes about 5 seconds to start. I don't want to kill the starter, however it may already be bad. Unfortunately I do not really have a way to take the starter out and have it checked out till this weekend. Not sure what to do. I cant imagine both would go out at the same time, in less the starter was having to draw longer because the alternator wasn't charging the battery enough. But I figured since I only started my truck 4-5 times while the battery light is on it wouldn't be a problem. I hooked my battery(still in the truck) to a battery charger and it said it was fully charged. Also when the guy was doing the test at autozone, the battery looked good.

Any recommendations on what I can do short of taking my starter out and having it tested?

Should I pull the battery and charge it over night? Or is what ever damage done to my starter already done?

Thanks for your help guys.

Keith

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
you diden't say if it was cranking slow or justs cranks longer than it should.if its cranking slow i'de have load test done on the battery and check the cable connections at the battery and going to the starter before pulling the starter.if its extended cranking its a spark or fuel problem,not the starter.maybe time for a tune up.

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well it is not cranking slow, just it is extended cranking. I replaced the wires and plugs pretty recently. I also have replaced the fuel filter. What else would you recommend checking? The truck has been running great and doesn't skip a beat.

Not sure if this makes a difference but most of my driving is short trips, so that is why I think my battery might just need a good charge after the bad alternator drained. it. I have been trying to keep all accessories off to help it out.

Keith

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Check the little single wire that goes into the back of the alternator, it may be frayed or have aloose connection. That little wire can cause a lot of little problems.....don't ask how I know.

Not sure if yours has one or not though, but my 2.3 does.

Allen

samsonitesamsonite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if its turning over fine, then there is no problem with your charging system or starter. Its ither, fuel, spark, or air related

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well yes you're right, ALL engines need the three basics to start and run: Air, Fuel, and Fire.
But I thought if he's having some electrical issues he may begin there because ever since the disposal of the cap and rotor, those little things (like wiring & sensors) can sometimes cause little problems like taking slightly longer to start.

You're probably right though. Check your air filter and make sure you're getting fuel and consistent spark.

Allen

Last edited:

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
And those problems are always related to air, fuel, or spark. Generally fuel or spark.

The electrical system as a whole is not FUBARed, or cranking would be slow or "clicky."

A common (though not even close to the only) issue is a leaky fuel pressure regulator. You have to crank until the fuel rail pressures up. If the leak is into vacuum, you may crank indefinitely due to flooding. Regulators CAN leak back into the fuel return. Measure the fuel pressure and measure leakdown. See if the regulator holds vacuum. If it doesn't OR if the leakdown rate is less than a few minutes to zero, replace the fuel pressure regulator.

Having a cap and rotor was never a guarantee that the emissions/ignition system will give you good spark.

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
How can I measure the fuel pressure and measure a leakdown? I am guessing I need a pressure gauge with special shrader valve? I am just giving the battery a slow charge tonight and will check the wires. When its been running and I turn it off, it fires right up without any of the hesitation from sitting.

The battery charge didn't do anything. I checked all of my connections and still no good. I also noticed a little screetch sound when I started it? Any idea on what this could be?

thanks for the help,
Keith

Last edited:

samsonitesamsonite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the screech is most likley a loost belt

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Okay the screech sound went away. I also noticed that my truck smells like unburned fuel when I get out of it. I checked under the hood and I do not see any thing next to the fuel rail. I find it hard to believe that something happened at the SAME time I changed my alternator. I will check tomarrow and see if I can look for any fuel leaks next to the fuel filter and what not.

Looking at my past work done on the truck I had the fuel pressure regulator replaced about 22k miles ago for a fuel leak May 06'. This was done by the dealership.

Any reccomendations?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You could very easily have damaged a ground or power wire when making almost any underhood repair. This is not your charging system, but it may have been damage by that repair.

Run the self tests and check the fuel pressure. Yes, you need a gauge.

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Problem solved,

I figured out the problem with my truck. Apparently when I replaced my fuel rail gasket, I cracked one of the fuel injector seals. Ohh well.

Keith

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You didn't smell the fuel pouring out of your fuel rail? I've done this, and it's anything but subtle.

It's very easy to cut fuel-side O-rings on 4.0Ls. I've had the best luck lubricating them liberally with Vaseline prior to installing the rail.

You may need valve cover gaskets now. Many types of sealant really don't like gasoline. Watch for leaks.

I suppose you could chamfer the injector holes in the fuel rail, but this isn't something I've tried.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals