Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions (Not for tech help - Use Help Forums further down) > General Discussions

General Discussions This forum is for general discussions. If you're in need of help, post it below in the appropriate topic forum.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
jeffw920

Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger fx4 level II
I use this vehicle for: everything
jeffw920 is on a distinguished road
Default small metallic driveline clunk

I know the infamous driveline clunk has been talked about quite a bit, but i've done a lot of searching and can't seem to find anything that sounds exactly like my situation.

Under light to moderate acceleration if you let off the throttle right before the auto tranny upshifts, after the tranny completes the upshift sometimes i hear one fairly loud metallic clunk. Cant feel it, just hear it.

Under the truck the U-joints feel solid no play, although i don't know much about U-joints. The slip yoke seems to have some axial play in it. also if you grip the DS on each side of the slip yoke and twist in opposite directions you can hear a slight clunk which i imagine is much louder under the load of a motor compared to my hands.

final point-When under the truck if you tap the shaft with with something metal it pretty much sounds like what i am experiencing.

any ideas?
I plan on lubing the slip yoke

thanks
jeffw920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Not shown to 'Premium Members')
Old 05-02-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
adsm08
Premium Member

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Making money and being broke.
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

Sounds like you are already on the right track to me.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

When people ask me "what's wrong with you?" I ask them "where would you like me to start?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Sowell
If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization then be prepared to accept barabrism.

Shop manuals
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote