Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Suspension & Armor > Off-Road 4x4 Suspensions

Old 04-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #21
kryptonitecb

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: daily driver, trail ready
kryptonitecb is just really nicekryptonitecb is just really nicekryptonitecb is just really nicekryptonitecb is just really nicekryptonitecb is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdawall View Post
Was that a serious question? IFS has the option of more travel deser racing has nothing to do with flex. If you read my post I mentioned it as well. In all fairness the jeepspeed guys do run SFA vehicles.

IFS will never flex. Flex is caused by one wheel pushing the other up or down. IFS cannot do that it is how IFS works. You can make a TTB drop out and compress better, but its still not a solid axle.
When did flex not equal travel? The coil springs will push the respective wheel down allowing each wheel to move independent of another. Which gives each tire a better foot print. If you have a solid axle its geometry is limited by the movement of both ends of the axle working against each other hence less travel/flex. You shouldn't be relying on the force of one tire pushing up in order to push the other tire down.

In a ttb your vehicle has the ability to be on a hillside with both tires planted on the ground with a better foot print than a solid axle. It also would keep your vehicle from leaning as far over in extreme circumstances.

Read my earlier post I already agreed a solid axle was stronger. My original point was that for the cost you can get more flex/travel from a ttb than a solid axle. In order to get the same you would need to get good leaf springs or link it. Compared to a ttb only needing a set of coil springs.

Sent from road while ignoring traffic
kryptonitecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Premium Member.

5% Rock Auto Discount Code: 20B2FF503DCF74 Expires: September 28, 2018
Old 04-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #22
cdawall

Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle Model: Ranger Edge
I use this vehicle for: trails/daily driver
cdawall will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonitecb View Post
When did flex not equal travel? The coil springs will push the respective wheel down allowing each wheel to move independent of another. Which gives each tire a better foot print. If you have a solid axle its geometry is limited by the movement of both ends of the axle working against each other hence less travel/flex. You shouldn't be relying on the force of one tire pushing up in order to push the other tire down.
Flex and wheel travel have never been the same thing. When was the last time you saw a prerunner with all 4 wheels hanging at full droop mention how much he was flexed out, how about all 4 at full stuff? Thats wheel travel full droop to full stuff ie how for the wheel travels. Thats a lot different than stuffing one rear and one front on opposite sides of the vehicle. That is flex and that is something solid axle's do a million times better than any form of IFS. That is something IFS cannot not do.

You also are not relying on the opposite tire to force the axle down they have individual forces acting on them as well as opposing from the other tire. That is why they are able to drop out and respond differently than a TTB does.
Quote:
In a ttb your vehicle has the ability to be on a hillside with both tires planted on the ground with a better foot print than a solid axle. It also would keep your vehicle from leaning as far over in extreme circumstances.
Typically there is more lean to the low side on a solid axle which is why there are sway bars which load the other coil and give the solid axle a better foot print.

Quote:
Read my earlier post I already agreed a solid axle was stronger. My original point was that for the cost you can get more flex/travel from a ttb than a solid axle. In order to get the same you would need to get good leaf springs or link it. Compared to a ttb only needing a set of coil springs.

You can get more travel out of a TTB you still will never get real flex like a solid axle has. To get good travel out of a TTB you need more than coil springs you need different radius arms, cut and turned beams etc. You can build the holy hell out of a TTB and it will still never climb rocks like a solid axle does. That is why most KOH don't have IFS at all and it is common knowlegde they cannot climb rocks like a solid axle since they cannot flex like one.

If you want to continue to argue how a TTB is so awesome post that up on pirate. Point out how travel and flex are the same thing while you are at it. See how long that shit lasts before you are flamed off the site.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #23
kryptonitecb

kryptonitecb is just really nicekryptonitecb is just really nicekryptonitecb is just really nicekryptonitecb is just really nicekryptonitecb is just really nice

I must be using my app wrong cause I'm pretty sure we're on the ranger station. Guys on pirate also think you have a small weeny unless you have 40+ tires and at least tons. If you want opinion go back to pirate where they will bash you for not having a Toyota.

KOH racers also aren't your typical driver. That's like saying you need a F1 engine in your honda cause "that's what they use". Do your research and come back when you're ready to listen.

I'll type this for you one last time: solid axles are STRONGER, however stock leaf springs compared to a ttb(since neither of our arguments can not account for every variation) DO NOT FLEX OR TRAVEL as far.

To the OP, you can sas, or you can get some coil springs with a lower pressure rating. Those are the options, do your research also and find what best works for you.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #24
cdawall

Quote:
I must be using my app wrong cause I'm pretty sure we're on the ranger station. Guys on pirate also think you have a small weeny unless you have 40+ tires and at least tons. If you want opinion go back to pirate where they will bash you for not having a Toyota.
So I take it you asked a dumb question on pirate already and got flamed off? I have never been bashed for small tires or owning a ranger or a jeep.

Quote:
KOH racers also aren't your typical driver. That's like saying you need a F1 engine in your honda cause "that's what they use". Do your research and come back when you're ready to listen.
Rock crawlers are not either guess thats why they use a solid axle. How about you google how IFS works and comes back. You obviously don't want to listen either as I have explained this multiple times multiple ways FLEX != WHEEL TRAVEL. IFS Cannot flex regardless to it being a TTB, SLA, etc. When you get a TTB to actually flex let me know because I want to see were you welded it solid.

Quote:
I'll type this for you one last time: solid axles are STRONGER, however stock leaf springs compared to a ttb(since neither of our arguments can not account for every variation) DO NOT FLEX OR TRAVEL as far.
The only TTB I know that has leafs is the D50 and it sure as hell didn't make it into the ranger.

Quote:
To the OP, you can sas, or you can get some coil springs with a lower pressure rating. Those are the options, do your research also and find what best works for you.

OP you can get lower PPI coils and longer radius arms and you will still have a TTB that cannot physically flex due to design.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #25
kryptonitecb

You done trolling? I have read the articles that prove your ideas wrong hence why I'm saying so. Like how the picture posted earlier is from one of those articles. But then I haven't done my research right?

Old 04-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #26
brinker88
11/2013 OTOM Winner

Vehicle Year: 1993
I use this vehicle for: Weekend Warrior
brinker88 is a splendid one to beholdbrinker88 is a splendid one to beholdbrinker88 is a splendid one to beholdbrinker88 is a splendid one to beholdbrinker88 is a splendid one to beholdbrinker88 is a splendid one to beholdbrinker88 is a splendid one to beholdbrinker88 is a splendid one to behold

Haters be hatin....

Apple Hill 4x4
brinker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #27
nooch450

Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Spending money on that I dont have...
nooch450 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunnerwannabe View Post
If you look, the rear drivers side tire is dropped out so that the entire suspension is articulated to its max, so I'm pretty sure a solid axle with the same springs/lift would have done more or less the same thing under those circumstances.
But I could be wrong...
I say your correct... and another advantage of the TTB is that the camber of the flexed tire does not effect the other side like a solid axle... With this advantage you can keep more rubber on the ground at times resulting in more traction...
nooch450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #28
4x4junkie
Mall-Rated

Vehicle Year: 1990,1994
Vehicle Model: Bronco II, Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Crawling over things
4x4junkie is a splendid one to behold4x4junkie is a splendid one to behold4x4junkie is a splendid one to behold4x4junkie is a splendid one to behold4x4junkie is a splendid one to behold4x4junkie is a splendid one to behold4x4junkie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdawall View Post
If you want to continue to argue how a TTB is so awesome post that up on pirate. Point out how travel and flex are the same thing while you are at it. See how long that shit lasts before you are flamed off the site.
Already been done.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=829346
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=924520
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=977243
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=977766

Whether you wish to call it Flex, Wheel Travel, Articulation, or whatever, it's all the same thing in the end... One wheel goes up, the other goes down. If it's keeping all 4 tires planted on the ground, then that's all that really matters (and yes I'm aware my tire was a couple inches up in that pic. That's a rather rare moment for me. I see that happen on built solid-axle'd Jeeps just as often (if not more so), so what's that tell you? ).

Anyway, instead of sitting around here playing this game of semantics, how about we try to get back to helping the OP with his truck here?

'94 Ranger XLT
6" Skyjacker, ARB D44 front, Detroit 8.8" rear, Atlas 4.3, 33s

Last edited by 4x4junkie; 04-13-2012 at 07:26 PM.
4x4junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:31 AM   #29
91ranger4.0

Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
I use this vehicle for: wheeling slingin much and crawling the mall parking lot
91ranger4.0 is on a distinguished road

some f250s had a ttb 44 with leaf springs... just saying

forsale 85 kingpin 60 with dually hubs all steering calipers and rotors 850obo.
91ranger4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #30
cdawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91ranger4.0 View Post
some f250s had a ttb 44 with leaf springs... just saying
No they didn't some f250s had D50s with leaf springs. There was never a leaf sprund D44 TTB.