• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 91 Ranger the stRanger

mavereq

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
It has been a while since I updated, not much progress since the holidays though.

Today I installed Yukon chromoly axle shafts in front as well as new ball joints and Yukon hardcore locking hubs. The lower ball joints were shot, im really glad I changed them out.

The Yukon hardcore hubs look and feel like they live up to their name. The weight of the hardcore hub compared to a warn premium was very noticeable. I’m excited to get to try these out.

I should be welding up the link brackets for the rear in the coming week. I want to box the frame, any experience boxing the frame with 1/8 inch plate? I am concerned about welding the upper frame link brackets to 1/8 inch, if thats what i use to box the frame. Hopefully more updates and a rear 4 link next weekend!

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
wow..... thank you for the video and the efforts to continue documenting your work and experiences. you started this in 09. I don't post much, and there were several times I wished you were closer so I could help you directly....knowing it would save some suffering...but you always pull through and it is better to learn the hard way sometimes.

I really hope to run with you guys next year if you end up going to the hammers for the koh.......I am hoping someone will have room for me to park my truck for a bit....as I will likely have to drive it out on days off and fly home back to work for a few weeks.......then force a few days off so I can fly out and attend..... then fly home.......then fly back out and hopefully tow some nicer iron home if my truck survives....it is an actual goal this year.

I think I may have mentioned to you how I would have pursued the cooling system.....there is a reason I bridge the frame and floating seat mount the radiator...and run electric fans (with a mechanical backup if I run into power issues). if you go full tube it wont matter...but if the chassis still moves a bit a floater is easier on the radiator and core header ime. but the simplicity of the mechanical fan is hard to beat. mechanical fan and propane ftw with the k.i.s.s principal...the dumber the better! that is why I ...IDI....:thefinger:

how many pounds of air were in the tires where you backed down? I was surprised you did not go lower on tire psi before putting a fork in the attempt.

again, thanks for the effort.....that rig is awesome and I had a huge smile on my face listening to it sing.

and tell for buddy to get a fawking duramax or powerstroke in that fat bastard burb already!!!

don't make me come out there and powerstroke that fawkin burb...:D...

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
wow..... thank you for the video and the efforts to continue documenting your work and experiences. you started this in 09. I don't post much, and there were several times I wished you were closer so I could help you directly....knowing it would save some suffering...but you always pull through and it is better to learn the hard way sometimes.

I really hope to run with you guys next year if you end up going to the hammers for the koh.......I am hoping someone will have room for me to park my truck for a bit....as I will likely have to drive it out on days off and fly home back to work for a few weeks.......then force a few days off so I can fly out and attend..... then fly home.......then fly back out and hopefully tow some nicer iron home if my truck survives....it is an actual goal this year.

I think I may have mentioned to you how I would have pursued the cooling system.....there is a reason I bridge the frame and floating seat mount the radiator...and run electric fans (with a mechanical backup if I run into power issues). if you go full tube it wont matter...but if the chassis still moves a bit a floater is easier on the radiator and core header ime. but the simplicity of the mechanical fan is hard to beat. mechanical fan and propane ftw with the k.i.s.s principal...the dumber the better! that is why I ...IDI....:thefinger:

how many pounds of air were in the tires where you backed down? I was surprised you did not go lower on tire psi before putting a fork in the attempt.

again, thanks for the effort.....that rig is awesome and I had a huge smile on my face listening to it sing.

and tell for buddy to get a fawking duramax or powerstroke in that fat bastard burb already!!!

don't make me come out there and powerstroke that fawkin burb...:D...

Thanks Bobby! We are planning right now to be at king of the hammers in 2019. It would be awesome to meet you and a few of the other Ranger guys out there!

I haven’t torn the front apart yet to redo the radiator, but I am leaning towards rock frame rails with tube and deleting the stock core support. Yes some lessons are best learned the hard way, and I’m pretty sure you warned me about the radiator mount at some point lol. It is getting reworked for sure.

The day I broke the radiator I was at 12 psi front and rear on the tires. I should have aired down more, but I was a solo rig so we didn’t want to push things to hard.

Thanks for watching the videos, it is going to take a lot of persuasion to put a diesel in the burb, he like the 6.0 in it. We do have a duramax that is going to be put in the tow truck that’s in our intro segment. It has a 454 and desperately needs some diesel power.

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
Have you been on stock front shafts all this time?

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
Have you been on stock front shafts all this time?

No. I had G2 axles in it. They have been great, the Yukon’s seem to be beefier in some areas. I am going to keep the G2 axles for spares

351RNGR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Is that a new locker in the picture of all the yukon stuff????

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual

351RNGR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
That was one set of ball joints
I guess I never knew Yukon had ball joints. I think I'm gonna run Spicer's and maybe carry some cheap parts store brand as spares

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
Well got to work on the 4 link. I boxed 4 feet of frame with 1/4 inch plate. The steel yard didn’t have any 3/16 at the time, so the heavy stuff won over. It is boxed from the rear cab crossmember up to almost where the frame starts bending up. I cut access holes for the radius arm brackets and t case crossmember.

Then I tacked the truss on, blasted off the fenders, and started mocking up shocks and 4 link brackets.

Last edited:

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
More progress

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
Wow looks amazing! Absolutely love the tailgate.

351RNGR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The coilovers and no fenders looks awesome! I also saw on Facebook that ballistic fab gave you a little shout-out for using their joints on the links.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
That rear axle looks so clean. It's awesome. I enjoyed your tailgate project, too. The whole truck is great.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mavereq

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Any plans to box in the link tower on the axle?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals