• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Optima Red Top

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
My Optima Red Top 12 volt battery just became a 6 volt battery! Forgot to use the Master Disconnect and the battery discharged on my infrequently run Ranger. Slapped on the "Smart Charger" on slow for 6 hours, went back out and I now have a 6 volt battery sitting at 100%!

WTF! Did my charger malfunction or the battery? Going to put on a conventional charger for a couple hours to see. Battery tested perfectly fine a couple months ago.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Update: Brought the battery back up to normal with a conventional charger. It passes all the battery tester tests and is good to go. Just realized this battery is going on 8 years old so it is being repurposed as a Booster battery.

My Smart Charger had a Blond Moment!

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Good to hear...I was going to reply but got sidetracked...I would have suggested an alternate charger because that happened to me with a smart charger...I was charging through the lighter socket and things went crazy but it turned out to be the ground wire on the starter was damaged so I was not getting a proper ground.

If you find the battery drains or sporadic power loss or even fluctuating output voltages at the alternator...check the main ground from the starter relay and that whole circuit...

Unless you've replaced it all recently and the issue disappears...:icon_thumby:

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
That info is good to know, Mark_88. I never positively found my parasitic drain but I traced it to the battery saver circuit. First, I installed a toggle switch across the fuse for that circuit and then decided to just mount a master disconnect switch for all power. Doesn't help at all when you forget to use it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals